Lowest prices for your stay
US$102
Free cancellation until 11/03/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
ZenHotels.com
Agoda.com
US$99
Hotels.comUS$102
Expedia.comUS$102
eDreamsUS$102
1,184 results
All reviews hole golf course pavilion restaurant tennis courts hot pools buffet breakfast wairakei terraces king room across the road bit dated huka falls great facilities plenty of parking a great place to stay the ground floor spa pool new zealand conference
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 January 2021

First of all the staff all are amazing, from arrival, house keeping, restaurant staff and bar staff. Dinner was amazing and so was breakfast. I can't wait to see the upgrades as our Huka Twin Rooms were in need of it , especially the bed headboards. Our family enjoyed the facilities and kids loved the tennis and pools/spas. Will be back next summer.

Date of stay: January 2021
Atif Khan, General Manager at Wairakei Resort Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2021

Dear MichelleFoxy1982,
Thank you so much for your great rating and excellent review.
We are thrilled about your staff-comments and are looking forward to see you again next summer.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 January 2021 via mobile

The hotel is a little tired but on the whole charming. It is very large which means long walks to reach different parts of the resort. The food was good in the restaurant but breakfast was quite simple. At the time I stayed the resort was full which meant queues to have breakfast. My room was nice, with everything I needed. I was disappointed with the early checkout time of 10am when checkin was not until 3pm. I was also disappointed at checkout time when I was told there was a credit card surcharge. I think this is ridiculous for a hotel!

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Elly77nz,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Wairakei resort Taupo. We are spread over 169 acres of land and pride ourselves to be a unique environment in a beautiful setting.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your meal at the Pavilion restaurant serving modern European food.

Earlier this week we refreshed our breakfast offering I had the opportunity to experience the new breakfast setup with now includes selection of hot and cold vegan offering , large salad bar with dips/ spreads and selection of whole fruit . Our bircher muesli recipe is refined . The porridge offering is now served with a savoury twist. I feel very comfortable in recommending the buffet breakfast I experienced this morning.

Our breakfast period can be very popular as we offer our members complimentary breakfast .I understand it does get very busy after 9am.

I would recommend you in the future to request for a late checkout which our team can organize for you
Unfortunately, every credit card transaction attracts a fee charged by the bank to the business ,we simply pass on this charge to the guest , as you can appreciate, we have several transactions a day . This is a standard practice with most businesses to pass on the bank fee charged for the transaction.

We make a genuine effort to advice all our guest to use alternate mode of payment to avoid the surcharge .

We appreciate your sharing your comment , and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Atif Khan
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 January 2021

I stayed at the Wairakei Resort Taupo for 3 delightful nights in January. The highlight of my stay was how friendly, helpful and professional the staff was, from front desk, through cleaning and bar/restaurant. Absolutely excellent customer service. The food is fantastic. There's plenty of entertainment for adults and kids alike. The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is because the building and especially rooms are quite dated and in desperate need of an upgrade. Aside from that, it's within walking or short drive distance to many touristic destinations and Taupo township. I highly recommend Wairakei Resort Taupo for a family holiday as well as couple's retreat.

Dear RafaRosaMendes,
Thank you very much for taking the time to publish your review!
We are thrilled to read about your experience with our staff and appreciate your recommendation.
we do understand your feedback around the age and décor of the rooms and have also identified many areas that are in need of an upgrade. We are in the planning phase for a Resort-wide refurbishment, considering the size of the property we are still some time away from starting, but the refurbishment will go ahead.

Reviewed 11 January 2021 via mobile

Had a great overnight stay at the Wairakei Resort Taupo on the way to Hawke Bay. The bar staff were so good we went back for dinner in the bar area. And after this we returned to our excellent room for a wonderfull nights sleep. Then we rose for a very good buffet breakfast before continuing our journey. A great stopover was had but more time is needed to explore all this resort has to offer
Excellent service and great accommodation was enjoyed.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Bazzab45,
Thank you very much for taking the time to publish your review! Especially for your feedback for the bar staff.
We are glad you enjoyed your overnighter at Wairakei Resort and hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 January 2021

I have been driving past Wairakei for the last 25 years and decided to bite the bullet and stay a night.

Great location, good facilities (spas, gym etc)
For the price I was expecting a better room, very few tv channels, dated exterior.

The bed and pillows were fantastic, slept like a log, great shower too.

Loved the access to the Terraces, a must for anyone staying there.

Breakfast was a bit average it I am perfectly honest.

Staff were friendly, helpful and the place was very clean.

Date of stay: December 2020
Atif Khan, Guest Services / Front Office at Wairakei Resort Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2021

Dear Steve,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. We sincerely appreciate all the support we receive while the sector is relying heavily on the domestic tourism.

As you have highlighted, we are fortunate to be located amongst such beautiful surroundings which enhances our overall guest experience complimented by the resort facilities and the access to Wairakei terraces.
We acknowledge your comment of the age of the facilities. We are in the planning for an extensive refurbishment and have engaged with an Architect which is requiring considerable time in the planning.

This morning I had the opportunity to experience the new breakfast setup with now includes selection of hot and cold vegan offering , large salad bar with dips/ spreads and selection of whole fruit . Our bircher muesli recipe is refined , I was tempted to have a second helping . The porridge offering is now served with a savory twist. I feel very comfortable in recommending the buffet breakfast I experienced this morning.

We always receive very positive comments about the friendliness of our team and try and keep the spaces as maintained as we can.

Atif Khan