Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Louise
Poor customer service, dirty shower, filthy carpets, 3rd bedroom the size of a walk-in wardrobe (with no proper window)
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Feb 2024via mobile
It is with disappointment that I give this review. We booked a 3-bedroom Lakeview Apartment and were really looking forward to staying here - my brother had come over from Perth for his 50th so this was meant to be a real treat. It was expensive (in excess of $700p/n), so we had high expectations.
On arrival there was nobody at reception (despite me advising when we were arriving and confirming it about 30 minutes ahead of time). Nobody answered the “non-attendance” phone so we stood around for about 10 minutes waiting for somebody to show and then got asked whether we had used the phone (“yes we did - nobody picked up”). The woman at the desk seemed less than impressed that we had booked via Booking.com.
“That’s ok, just a blip” I thought “the apartment will be fab and make up for the lacklustre welcome.”
After negotiating a carpark that would challenge the best and most confident drivers, I was certainly not expecting a dirty shower, filthy carpets and a bedroom the size of my walk-in wardrobe with barely a window (and certainly not one you could see out of). The kitchen tap was also broken and the ‘lever’ kept falling out.
To top it off my mum cut her toe on uneven flooring and rough edge tiles.
The view from the living area was lovely and the kitchen was otherwise well appointed (although for >$700 per night I admit I may have been expecting some mini condiments such as butter or jams). The third bedroom was so small and stuffy that I ended up sleeping on the couch. If I’d known the size of the bedroom ahead of time I would have just booked a 2 bedroom, slept on the couch and saved about $135. After expecting such a special experience I was bitterly disappointed that we’d wasted so much money.
When I mentioned all this to the owners on check-out, Andy was nice enough, but the reaction was apathetic at best, lots of excuses about the cleaning and a “well it is what it is” when it came to the cupboard/bedroom. I would not stay here again - absolutely not worth the money. I do not recommend the 3 bedroom Lakeview apartment if you need someone to actually use the small single bedroom. And I would warn that you are wasting your time making any complaints.
Date of stay: February 2024
    $144
8.6 km from Sacred Waters Apartments
Pool
View more hotels in Taupo
All reviews the penthouse hot tub beautiful apartment underfloor heating the managers lake view spa pool bedroom accommodation luxury hosts waterfront kitchen bbq laundry
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 October 2023 via mobile

Completely underwhelming - unclean and not the room configuration we had booked. Ensuite shower not in working order, told couldn’t be fixed. No compensation. Complex is tired. Not the sacred waters we have experienced previously - such a shame!!

Date of stay: October 2023
2  Thank 988annaa
Reviewed 27 August 2023 via mobile

Pretty good place for a group, great location and views, deck and tub are amazing.

Beds are pretty average, soft, rolly and the sheets came untucked so easily, the duvet slips are a disaster. However fans in the rooms are great, especially for white noise sleepers.

Common areas fantastic.

No spare rubbish bags a massive fail.

Date of stay: November 2022
Reviewed 11 June 2023 via mobile

Amazing stay! Loved the apartment and the staff were very friendly. Beautiful view of the lake and amazing heated swimming pool, gets up to around 35 degrees! Apartment was large enough for my husband and two kids. We will definitely be back to stay at Sacred Waters.

Date of stay: June 2023
2  Thank Chrystal J
Reviewed 10 April 2023

Andy and Melinda who are the new owners of the hotel management are very rude. We booked the 4 bedroom penthouse in March 2022 and had various dialogue with Andy and Melinda in regards to 6 of us staying, that we were going to be using the BBQ etc. We picked up that service wasn't a strong point, they weren't helpful but weren't initially rude either.

2 days before we were scheduled to arrive I emailed them within the same dialogue that had my original booking confirmation- the subject line being our reservation number.

They reply "I can't see you have a booking with us, we are fully booked this weekend sorry"

While they should have used a bit if common sense before replying, again, it's a passable service fail. I called Andy and he was SO defensive and did not apologise for the dismissive email basically saying "who's this" I couldn't speak, he kept cutting me off and was super patronising and just unnecessarily rude.

He then tried to say that if we had 6 people we needed to pay more for the room (I emailed him in March within the same email dialogue noting "We are a party of 6 people" and he replied "No problem, you are all sorted for 6 people" I brought this to his attention and he just flat out denied he wrote the email (weird) I obviously had proof so I said I would end the call and that I'd get my partner to contact him and when he did, Andy was completely apologetic. So not sure why he was so rude to me, he admitted that he sent the email (hard to keep denying I guess) and that we were all sorted.

When we arrived we checked in and the penthouse was not very clean at all, dust around all the edges of the carpet and tiles, the deck was caked with dirt like it hadn't been hosed down in months, we cleaned everything and definitely left a MUCH cleaner apartment than the one we arrived to despite 6 of us staying there.

On the first night as discussed with Andy on the phone and over email, we went to use the BBQ, it was SO DISGUSTINGLY filthy and had no gas, we call reception and no answer, we try again and someone answers "This is after hours" (It was 8pm to be fair) We then said that we needed some gas for the BBQ and Andy replied "We can't sort it, this is why we don't advertise BBQ's" (It is actually advertised with a BBQ) incredibly combative person, and we pushed it and said "yes it does say BBQ" he said "go and get the gas bottle off the pool BBQ if nobody is using it" we said "Can you please bring it to our room?" He said "Okay but you need to put it back tomorrow" He begrudgingly got the gas bottle from another BBQ and then put it outside our room without telling us, everyone was quite shocked and we are all pretty relaxed people but we eventually found it was there and used the BBQ (after spending over half an hour cleaning it first) - we laughed about it in the end as at this point our expectations were very low in regard to customer service.

When we checked out, Melinda seemed angry (maybe because we left the apartment too clean) just unprofessional, like we had ruined their life by asking for gas for the BBQ they advertised and assured us would be great to use on Friday night! By that time it was all just hilarious, she didn't ask how I stay was or anything, she was completely mute and if I hadn't said hello, I don't think she would have.

One day I might add all the images we took.

We would never stay here again until Andy and Melinda don't mismanage the place anymore, or learn some customer service skills. Cue defensive reply (if any).....

Room tip: - Don't expect great customer service, apartments are nice enough but no very clean - great views.
Date of stay: September 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Vivac48
Reviewed 5 April 2023

The Apartment we stayed in needs new beds.....mattresses are old ...Otherwise everything else is fine, pool fantastic and carparking easy if you have only 1 small car, easy access to the lake front. thank you

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple