All reviews other guests hosts john new zealand felt like royalty their beautiful home b bs manicured gardens breakfast was delicious homemade yogurt taupo area luxury hotel stayed longer swimming pool lovely couple room was large home away from home underfloor heating
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Had a great weekend...feels like home away from home. Upon arrival we had a friendly warm welcome by the managers which we really appreciated. The scenery was beautiful and it was a relieve to walk in such a quiet and peaceful environment. Hatsoff to the general managers who did a great job here; a true sample of excellent hospitality!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank LavneshG
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

On our month long visit to Australia and New Zealand our travel agent did a marvelous job of picking high quality places to stay. We (two couples) were extremely impressed with our stay at The Pillars. John and Nancy made great recommendations for things to do as well as restaurant choices. John even helped my husband arrange a last minute fly fishing excursion which he certainly enjoyed.
A wonderful exclusive getaway retreat!!!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2018

The B&B as classed was very good, accommodation, cleanliness, breakfast and helpfulness of the hostesses. The accommodation is in beautiful quite surroundings and 7 minutes from town. The hostesses were very knowledgeable on the area and other parts of New Zealand and help to make arrangements for trips we made.

Room tip: All rooms have a view and the location is very quite
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this property, and its owners, Nancy and John! My daughter and I stayed with them in January as guests, but were treated like family. Fabulous grounds, beautiful rooms (the holiday decorations were so professional and artistic), delicious food, comfy beds, lovely views from our rooms, cookies and chocolates in our rooms every day, quality linens, superb cleanliness---I could go on. But most especially, Nancy and John went out of their way to be friendly, helpful, and welcoming. I truly haven't had a better experience in an inn/b&b in my life. I will return again, without hesitation. You won't be disappointed!!!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2018

There are some places you come across that exceed all your expectations. This was one of them on my 5th visit to New Zealand. My stay was split into two either side of the Art Deco weekend in Napier so I was allocated different rooms on each occasion. I can confirm both rooms I stayed in were extremely spacious, beautifully furnished and very comfortable with modern well equipped and equally spacious en-suite bathrooms. I was travelling on my own on this occasion and as it was my 3rd visit to Taupo sightseeing wasn’t on my agenda and I needed to re-charge my batteries so I chose to relax at the B & B during the day taking full advantage of the peace and tranquillity provided by the beautiful manicured gardens.

The guest lounge is also quite extraordinary. Saying it’s very comfortable doesn’t do it justice. Hosts John & Nancy with who I had plenty of time to chat are the best you’ll find anywhere and cheerfully accommodated my requests to use their facilities to eat take away food, even providing me with crockery, cutlery and a wine glass! All very civilised. Breakfast (with lots of choice) is served to order so I got what I wanted, how I wanted it and when I wanted it! If there’s a better B & B on the North Island I’ve yet to come across it!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
JohnPillarsNancy, Owner at The Pillars Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear Colin,

Thank you for such a wonderful review, you very gracious! It was a great pleasure to host you during your stay in Taupo and we sincerely hope to see you again. Perhaps next year.

Warmest regards to you and your dear wife.