“Kayaking the Waikato river/Huka Falls”

Rapid Sensations Ltd
Ranked #44 of 73 things to do in Taupo
More attraction details
Owner description: Rapid Sensations Ltd is Taupo’s premier outdoor adventure company that has been operating throughout the Lake Taupo – Tongariro National Park region for over 22 years.Held in high regard for professional, safe delivery of quality experiences and outcomes, Rapid Sensations offers a comprehensive range of adventure activities and programs to the tourism, corporate, military and education sectors.
Reviewed 6 January 2015

Experiencing Lake Taupo, Huka Falls and all of the many beautiful attractions in the area has been amazing-it's beyond any expectations.
Sadly our experience with Rapid Sensations was quite the let down. The $48 charge for a 2 hour guided tour will get you only an hour on the river. The one man guide will have you cleaning and unloading/loading kayaks (hopefully each member of your group participates in this- some are too young and inexperienced- which can also hinder the river experience).
On the river, you paddle a short distance before you break to watch Bungy jumpers (none on our trip) a bit further and you encroach on bathers trying to enjoy the hot springs- kayaks and bathers DON'T mix! It was embarrassing and we clearly managed to upset a few. Another 200m and that was the end of the kayak adventure. The river itself is nothing short of amazing-but if you're wanting to really experience it Rapid Sensations would not be my recommended route.
When asking for a protectant bag for my camera, I was advised they don't recommend camera's on the river.....WHAT???

1  Thank 622Valerie
IanRuthven, Owner at Rapid Sensations Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2015

Hi. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the trip down the river. We cannot control the flow of the river and sometimes it moves very fast. Also you may have been with another company as our trip finishes 2.3 kms past the Hotpools!!

Thank again and happy to give you and your family a free trip sometime.

Ian R

Reviewed 1 January 2015 via mobile

Beautiful gentle kayak down the river, bathing at the hot springs was fantastic. Guide AJ let us go in peace and enjoy the serenity but was talkative if that is what you wanted.

Reviewed 26 November 2014

had a great kayak tour out to the Maori carvings. Rob was helpful and informative. Well worth the time and cost.

Reviewed 8 October 2014

We hired 5 bikes from Rapid Sensations the other day and the service was spot on. It's located right next to Craters of the Moon which made things easy for us and the girl at the disk was nice, chatty and even gave us some discount vouchers when we told her our plans for the rest of the day. The bikes were good quality and the nearby tracks are awesome.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 September 2014 via mobile

We did the two hours kayaking. Both Ian and Rob were our guide through out the whole journey. We did a quick 5 minutes lesson then head off to the river. My wife was on a canoe with my six year old daughter while I was with my three year daughter. It was a great experience and we had lot of fun. Both Rob and Ian weren't rushing us to finish the journey. The view was fantastic and the water was clear. My younger daughter was having fun with the water while I was kayaking. Rob patiently waited for us the whole time. We spent about 20 minutes at the hot pool area. Both my daughters loved it. Strongly recommended and great for family activities.