“Classy, but relaxed dinner experience”
Review of Bistro Lago

Bistro Lago
Ranked #30 of 140 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: From lake, land and ocean, our seasonal New Zealand a la carte lunch and dinner brings the region's best offerings to your plate. Located at the elegant Hilton Lake Taupo, boasting stunning lake views and guided by the expertise of celebrity Chef Gareth Stewart, Bistro Lago is a culinary experience not to be missed.
Reviewed 29 May 2024

Lovely restaurant at the Hilton Hotel Taupo.
Warm and cosy inside, with an open fire. Lighting good, nice decor with good views in the daytime. Staff were attentive, friendly and knowledgably. I would definitely eat here again. The food was excellent.

On the negative side I would say it is quite expensive, but the food and wine choices are excellent, and this is probably the best restaurant in Taupo, so to be expected.

This is my first visit in two years and have eaten here many times in the past. One 'negative' thing I noticed was how much larger the portion sizes were. I could not finish my starter, main or desert. Great for big eaters, but I prefer to have smaller portions and don't like waste, but like to enjoy the full menu, such has having the lovely cheese plate at the end. Too full to even think about it this time though! You can't please everyone I suppose.

I recommend you pay a little more and eat here when in Taupo. You won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: May 2024

Reviewed 27 April 2024 via mobile

Unfortunately the food and service are very different from when we last visited. This used to be the most expensive restaurant in Taupo, but you got what you paid for, and it was excellent. Its still the most expensive, but the food is terrible. The fish was tasteless, and the beef cheek was like a piece of rubber. Although they tried hard, the service was painfully slow. Won't be back sorry.

Reviewed 24 April 2024 via mobile

This was the worst restaurant I've eaten at. I've eaten at the Hilton in Sydney a few times and I'm very unclear why the Hilton brand is allowed at the Taupo Hilton? There is no comparison except for the prices....I've eaten better in a food hall ...

Nothing in the menu matches the actual food.... the starter was essentially carved up thick sour dough with sliced zucchini and store bought Parmesan ...stodgy

The burnt leek hearts was cold, slimy and watery... and sitting in a mess ...we sent it back

We both ordered the vongole with local clams....but there were no clams only mussels...they forgot to tell us ...I changed then to potato gnocchi (more on that below) ...my husband accepted the mussels....very salty, lukewarm and who puts pork sausage with mussels?

The gnocchi was so salty it was inedible ....I couldn't finish it....swimming in a disgusting mess ...

Both glasses of wine came in a small 200ml bottle ...like you would get at a club or budget airline...not from the Hilton...but either way Hilton prices.....

This restaurant is seriously ripping people off and the Hilton should be ashamed of themselves.... sadly the staff were lovely and attentive and trying to make the best of a situation outside of their control....don't go there

Reviewed 15 April 2024

We celebrated our mother's 70th with a high tea. What excellent service, yummy food and a wonderful environment.

Very impressed with the food - plenty of it, beautifully presented and super tasty.

Thanks for such a lovely day!

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 10 April 2024

Embarrassing to take our overseas visitor to! Over the years we have visited this restaurant and had experienced quality food. Sadly, not this time. The Maitre D saw me enter the restaurant, made eye contact however I was left waiting for him to approach me at the counter for I would guess 2-3 minutes, it felt like a long time! When we were seated, we noticed the table next door being served fish on a large platter - the juices from the platter was slopped over the pants of a lady sitting at the table, this went un-noticed by the guest with no effort made to clean up by wait staff. Our food was abysmal to say the least although, my hungry husband did eat the steak which he described as "average". I opted for two entrees - the beef entrée (beef tartare) looked like something the cat spewed up, presentation and taste horrendous, I could not eat it! The buratta entrée was one huge ball of cheese dumped on the plate with very poor presentation, could not taste smoked beetroot at all! Romaine heart salad was just tasteless but it was a nice fresh piece of food to crunch into! The whipped potatoes looked like they had been in oven for days with odd chunks of feta thrown on top! Service was not good - short staffed so can probably let that slide - even the Chef was serving tables. Complained about the food and the Maitre D said he would "speak to the chef" - come on, not entirely the chefs fault; he can see the presentation is just not up to a high standard! A discount was given but something needs to change; this really is an embarrassment especially for the number of international visitors that stay at the Hilton

2  Thank Getaway55519022410