Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Stevie
NZ

Don't Stay there! Old dirty and smelly.

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Mar 2024
Infuriating long time to book in. Majorly dirty, old, smelly establishment all through. I wasnt allowed to park in the tent site I had booked, by being told it was fully booked. IT WASNT. That really annoyed me. I'd never stay there again, it's pretty disgusting
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Basically stay anywhere else than Egmont Eco Lodge
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Entry Foyer - Welcome to Auto Lodge
    $149
2.5 km from Egmont Eco Lodge
View more hotels in New Plymouth
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 January 2024

I have stayed at Egmont Eco Lodge some 5-6 times over the past 8 years and have watched it go steadily downhill. For me, it's always been a convenient place to stay before and after climbing the mountain but my most recent booking will be my last. It is disappointing to see that my feedback is consistent with many others. The lodge appears to be used as emergency accommodation, which is something I am not generally opposed to (the government pays the operators double the market rate) but it should not be also run as tourist and visitor accommodation, or at least, the visitors should be told about this at the time of making their booking. I had a two night reservation and had to leave after the first sleepless night. The few hours spent there I had to put up with people fighting, smoking, drinking and verbally abusing each other right outside my room. The room and facilities overall were dirty and the room was filled with cigarette odour. There wasn't anyone at the reception the following morning so I left the keys and departed. I believe the operator is misleading their guest as the accommodation is definitely not worth the $170 that I paid to stay there and most definitely not what it is being advertised as. I would encourage anyone considering staying at Egmont Eco Lodge to look at alternative options available to them, as there are plenty in New Plymouth and the surrounding townships.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Amar D
Reviewed 11 March 2022 via mobile

Very unsatisfactory. Booked OK, and told credit card would not be charged and we could pay on arrival. Then got text to advise there would be no one to check us in, so to call on arrival, and my credit card has been charged because there will be no one there when we arrive... Not ideal, but fair enough.
On arrival we found our room was on the other side of a locked gate, about 50 meters away. A long distance to carry gear off motorbikes. But the main thing that infuriated me was being told they would not supply towels - DUE TO COVID!!!! But there are sheets, pillow cases, duvet on the bed! (Surely a worse potential spreader of Covid if you have such lousy laundry standards). And cutlery in the communal kitchen. Super spreader potential more than any towel. Room very old and musty. Certain the duvet hasn't been laundered in years. Shared toilets, showers etc. very old and unkempt. Felt very grotty. Only "eco" thing about this place seems to be the avoidance of detergents. We stayed for 2 nights only because my card had been charged before we got there, and I was not at all co didn't I would have been refunded if we reduced our stay.
For the desperate only.

Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank KiwiKath
Reviewed 28 December 2021

The reviews are honest & true.

It's very very tired & the whole place smells a bit strange. The long term guests are less than friendly.
The shower rooms are shabby with seriously moudly ceilings.
The room was smelly with a grubby carpet which hadn't been vacuumed. Cobwebs all over the window and in the room.
Thankfully bedclothes did smell clean or I may have walked out and paid for somewhere else to sleep.
The kitchen was basic well kept.

Surely during the quiet times it wouldn't take much to spruce up the place ...

The receptionist was super helpful about the New Plymouth centre 😊

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank RubySlippers77
Reviewed 14 February 2021

If you are looking for somewhere clean, safe, inexpensive and friendly to stay, book here. The late check-in time might seem different to other places but understandable considering the great work the staff does getting the property ready for all their guests. Friendly and relaxed from start to finish. If you expect to be catered to, book elsewhere. This accommodation is basic and gives the control back to you by letting you be in charge of yourself without the staff having babysit you.
Our family have stayed two years in a row and look forward to staying again!

Date of stay: December 2020
Reviewed 24 January 2021

Very dated and basic room with no fire alarms in the room or anywhere in the passageways (illegal!!). Other guests very loud drinking, singing, swearing late into the early hours of the morning - right outside our window - with no contact number to call for assistance. Outside lights on all night contributed to night of no sleep.
Showers were terrible - no water pressure, no where to put soap etc, or clothes - ended up showering at a friends place!!
Only saving grace was the receptionist who was very friendly and helpful at check-in.

Room tip: Do not choose to stay at this hostel
Date of stay: January 2021