Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
maggiefiddler
Melbourne, Australia

Restful and relaxing

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Mar 2017
I arrived off the late bus from Hamilton and Lyn kept the office open until I arrived, welcoming me warmly. Her hospitality and kindness sustained me through two weeks of coming and going, up the mountain and on all the walking tracks around this beautiful little city. I originally chose the camping site option, where the soft lawn and nearby babbling stream provide a restful sleep. Later I moved into the female bunk room, and then shared a twin room with my friend. The lodge was clean, quiet, and comfortable, with a well-equipped kitchen and laundry. The little stream has a family of tame eels, who gobbled up our vegie scraps. Buses run from the city centre to a handy bus-stop, or it's about a 20 minute walk, and I soon discovered the walking track into town along the river. At night you see glow-worms on the bank. All through the summer holidays New Plymouth puts on a show - nightly free live music concerts in the park surrounded by amazingly beautiful light sculptures. Don't miss the art galleriy - interesting and provocative works. I'll be back!
Date of stay: January 2017
    $104
  • eDreams
2.5 km from Egmont Eco Lodge
View more hotels in New Plymouth
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 March 2017

We only stayed overnight in Egmont Eco Lodge but the green and natural surroundings are a jewel in the heart of suburbia. We stayed in a neat and spacious flat that was very clean and comfortable with lots of kitchen equipment. Lots of parking space, open grounds and cabins would make this an excellent big group accommodation.
As the flat was just behind reception and thus close to the communal kitchen it wasn't the quietest spot, but the 10 pm curfew is very thoughtful for people like us who value an early night.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

This was our best stay in New Zealand! The place is spotless and affordable!
Lynere was so welcoming and gave fantastic advise! She went the extra mile to ensure our stay was the best it could be!A brilliant base for climbing mount taranaki and chilling afterwards! Will definitely stay again, highly recommend this place!

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2017

I stayed there three nights and i really liked this hostel. It has a nice, family like ambiance, I really felt like home during my stay. The staff is more than lovely. They're always here to help you with something or just chatting if you need company. They also provide good advice about what to do in the area and about the different hikes you can do in Mt Egmont National Park. Besides, the whole place is very clean.
The only annoying thing about the hostel is that it's quite far away from town (20-25 minutes by foot) but if you don't mind walking a little bit or you have a car it's alright.
Thank you for everything you did for me Lynn & Jan !

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2017

I was really disappointed with the quality of my room. When I checked in, I walked into the main building, which was bright, cheery and clean. But I was directed to a different building further back on the property that was dark and dreary. My room had an overwhelming odor of mold, which was very unpleasant. The bed felt like it was on the verge of collapsing. The kitchen was equally dark and depressing. One night was enough. I bailed early and found other accommodations in New Plymouth. Lovely town, though. Nice parks, beaches, museums and restaurants.

Room tip: Request a room in the main building only. It was nice, and the kitchen was bright and clean.
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank brucep452
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Had to divert from originally booked accommodation for Mt Taranaki expedition to closer location. Very well received last minute; friendly owners and staff, neat, well organized, calm, serene place away from everything but still in the middle of it all. Came back two more nights that same week. Good comfortable and supportive mattress in double rooms. Twenty five minute drive from the foot of Mt. Taranaki (and info center).

Don't expect any fancy bells and whistles; it's just a decent place surrounded by a bit of nature with basic amenities in a very practical location. But the difference is made in their accommodation attitude and excellent upkeep of the place!

Had a good laugh and a nice peaceful night's rest.
Would definitely return!

Thanks guys,

From the Belgian and the English girl.

Cheers!

Room tip: the difference in mattress quality between a double room or a bed in a dorm are significant.
Date of stay: January 2017