“Rotorua Getaway”

Rotorua Trout Guide
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Rotorua Trout Guide. Based in the Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand. We offer guiding fly fishing and boat fishing trips throughout the Rotorua District. We also offer saltwater fly fishing in the nearby harbours in the Bay of Plenty predominantly chasing kingfish. One of the most popular options we offer is Heli-fishing, gaining access to remote wilderness rivers that only see fisherman a couple of times at the most each year. We also offer boat fishing on many lakes in the region. Expect good catch rates of top quality trout. The world famous and highly regarded fisheries of Rotorua is a necessary part of any serious fisherman's travel itinerary to New Zealand. Trips range in length from half day to multi day trips for all ages, fitness levels and ability. Get in contact with your Rotorua trout fishing guide Julian Danby for a fantastic fishing adventure catered around your needs and requirements.
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

Excellent winter fishing, Awesome guide, Beautiful city! My wife and I skedattled out of Idaho for New Zealand’s Rotorua last August. Beautiful country and city. Wonderful people especially my fishing guide. He will accommodate a good time for you even in the off season. Incredible knowledge of area behavior and entomology necessary to land beautiful trout. We landed 2, couple other hookups. Fish were very healthy.

Date of experience: August 2018
"fished"
"river"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2018

I spent a day with Julian in April 2018. I was touring through New Zealand and wanted to try out New Zealand fly fishing. Julian gave me two options of either catching more fish but smaller or taking a little longer drive and catch less fish but larger. I took the bigger fish option and was very happy with the results. We caught fish all day long. Caught healthy and strong rainbows and browns throughout the day. One brown was exceptionally nice. I couldn't have asked for better results. Everything Julian told me before we started proved to be extremely accurate. I also enjoyed the day talking to Julian. He is an intelligent and pleasant man. Hope I can go back some day.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I came to New Zealand in January 2017 and desperately wanted to do some fly fishing in some of the world's most pristine water. I found myself quickly becoming a target of commercial operations and hotel packages.

Luckily I found Julian through recommendation. He set up a custom package that involved a 2 day help trip tour in back country river in Rotorua followed by a day in the creek chasing browns.

The Helming trip is nothing short of phenomenal. The water is pristine and the scenery is just majestic! Julian taught my cousin to fish and within a few hours he was hauling beasts from the clear riffs!

By far the best trout fishing I have ever done. The heli trip is a must! Sleeping under the starts in that beautiful country side and non stop action in perfect conditions.

The next day we landed my first brown and he was a beauty! Julian put in the extra mile and took my salt water fly fishing on the flats where I hooked into my first Kingfish! We were just over the moon!

Fantastic guiding very professional. Thanks Julz my bro! Will definitely be back! The addition of your boat to your services is gonna make you a knock out my man!

All the best!

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank abbottom
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and i wanted to say thanks to Julian for an awesome days fishing out of Taupo.
Julian is a top notch guide who took us straight to the fish.
Although my skill level was not high enough to land all of the fish hooked i did manage one....thanks mate
Genuine knowledgeable down to earth bloke who loves his fishing.
Picked us up and dropped us off from our accommodation in Rotorua.
Can't recommend him enough!!

Cheers Julian,

Tom & Caz

Date of experience: August 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

What an incredible trip! Fishing my way through New Zealand on a working holiday visa I fished all over the country especially the South Island, when I came up North i didn't know what my plan was. After consulting a few friends I was given Julian's name and guide service and not was I not disappointed!

We went out for several days and did all types of fishing; small streams, rivers, and still water it was incredible. In each type of water we did VERY well, Julian really knew what he was doing with bug choice and choice of water. We caught numerous fish over a 2-3 pounds.

We even made it to the Salt one day and knowing how tough it is to find the Kingfish I was very impressed that we got on them the first day. Those fish are above and beyond everything I've ever experienced in a fly rod. Not exaggerating even a little, the run and pull of those fish blew up my 7wt reel to the point of hand lining to finish.

I would highly recommend having Julian take you out for one of the most memorable, professional, and fun guided days on the water. Truly one is not enough, if you can do 3 I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Cheers!