Lowest prices for your stay
US$64
Priceline
US$64
Hotels.com
US$68
Expedia.comUS$64
eDreamsUS$64
CheapTicketsUS$68
All reviews steam oven hot water beach thermal pools boiling mud dig holes powered site steamers shared facilities clean facilities camping ground walk into town great place to stay one night stay new zealand eat street cabin lake
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 July 2020

Great location, close to town and right on the lake. Decent sized pitches and good facilities. Kids absolutely loved the spa. Much nicer ambiance and less like a concrete jungle than where we stayed the previous night (rhymes with Pop Hen). Friendly and helpful staff, would definitely come back.

Date of stay: July 2020
C C, General Manager at Cosy Cottage Thermal Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2020

Dear guests, appreciate your great review. Yes, we offer a nice camp for a family with children to stay in with natural mineral hot pools, hot mud land reserve and sand beach of the lake nearby. Large grassland area and a small playground good for kids run around.
Looking forward to receiving your family again.

Reviewed 29 April 2020

When I stayed here, I had been traveling in New Zealand for six months and stayed in dozens of hotels in this same price range and found every single one to be helpful, reasonable and friendly and this was the one unfortunate exception. I had chosen to book at the Cosy Cottage instead of my usual go to hotel in Rotorua despite the lower level of service because of the great price and amenities, but when I showed up, excited for our trip there I was instead greeted by a front desk impatiently demanding that I pay an additional NZD$220 for extra guests on my stay due to a mistake when booking on Expedia. They were unwilling to let me leave to get to my scheduled activities or even to let me on the WiFi to figure out what happened, without paying. She assured me if the charge turned out to be in error I would get a refund of the appropriate amount if I contacted management via email. However, when I collected the receipts and found that I was indeed charged NZD$50 more than I should have been for extra guests as detailed in the booking agreement, I was unable to get any sort of response from hotel management to correct the error.

That being said, the cabin was full of great amenities, it was just not worth the cost with the lack of service (there is no room servicing—we had to take out our own trash and ask for things we needed), the limited WiFi, and staff we did not get along with. For the whole stay they always looked irritated when we asked for things, to the point that we made do when we were short on linen, towels, pillows and WiFi vouchers for our extra guests who we were now paying top dollar for--all to avoid having to talk to them again. Granted the extra charge did get us off on the wrong foot, so others may not have that problem.

Date of stay: February 2020

Fully understand it will be frustrating when you check in then was told you booked only for 2 people, not 5 people for a two-bedroom flat. Not sure why this mistake happened as you travelled a lot, should aware that accommodation charge based on how many guests stay in a unit and familiar with online agent website which you used.

We always make sure the beddings are ready before check-in upon how many guests booked in. Sorry for the bedding delay for extra guests as in the evening we don't have housekeeper standby and the receptionist is busy for check-ins.

Anyway, we apologize for the inconvenience that happened. We have asked our receptionists to give more clear explanations, handle the surprise more smoothly next time.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2020

On the outside this place looks ok but compared to the larger more we’ll known chain campgrounds this place falls well short. It’s a good location and does have hot spa pools available, but the place is grubby and run down. It’s old and seemingly held together with good will. We stayed on a powered site. The ablutions block is disgusting, the kitchen is functional but old. The “free” wifi is pretty slow and limited to a 300mb block for your entire stay, where most places these days offer unlimited usage. Given the current global Covid19 pandemic, access to news sources was vital so we were made to beg for an additional portion of time. You would also think the in this current climate personal hygiene/cleanliness of the staff would be of the highest importance, but the reception staff don’t seem to agree, as it seems they had not showered for a week and stank of BO, which is the first impression you get as you enter the place. They were also unfriendly and unwelcoming. There is a small playground for smaller kids, but that is it. Personally I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank mattr1

Sorry to hear your unpleasant stay. We always try our best to keep cleanliness and good service, which can be seen from other comments on trip advisor. Would you mind advise which holiday park is offering free unlimited wifi with fast speed? We would like to contact them to see if we can get the same contractor to improve ours.

Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

Good place to stay and a nice location very close to the lake. You can dig your own holes near the edge of the water of the lake and reach warm water. You could walk into town but it would be a little bit of a walk. We were exploring the area and stumbled upon some geothermal pools just a short walk away. Would recommend this place again. The pools and hot tubs look a little dated. We did not use but I did notice them.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thanks for your review and fair comments.
We do have to struggle with the hot pools. Due to hot mineral water, which may go up to 90'c before ready for guest to use, the fibre coating which we did 2 years ago with a couple of thousand dollar spending, start showing faded and wore. But no worry about th genuine, we refresh that the mineral water every day with the high temperature of the water.
Welcome visit us in the near future again.

Reviewed 27 February 2020 via mobile

Nice rooms (we had a basic cabin, which is actually not that basic to our opinion). Spaceous, well equipped. Nice hot pools, and short walk to beach where you can dig your own hot pool (careful, it is very hot) with a shovel that you can borrow at the reception. Communal bathrooms are clean and enough capacity.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luuk H

Great to see you have a wonderful stay with us and appreciate your kind comments which are most encouraging to the whole team. We will keep working hard to maintain our good service and standard for sure.
Wish to see you next time soon.