Ways to Experience Tamaki Maori Village
from US$144.18
from US$80.37
from US$298.99
5,438 results
All reviews bus driver maori culture cultural experience new zealand great night pavlova different aspects hangi feast welcoming ceremony lamb whole evening picked up from our hotel fun evening singing and dancing ask questions great insight laksa
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 April 2019

We have several groups from the USA that come to work with us each year. Every time I take them to Tamaki Maori Village. I have been to the other cultural shows in Rotorua and other places and Tamaki just does theirs to a different level. It is fun, entertaining, a learning experience and a delicious meal. I know that every time I bring a group it will be one of the highlights of their stay.

1  Thank trustydownunder
Reviewed 26 April 2019 via mobile

We arrived at the Tamaki Maori Experience around 14:00 and were greeted by two of the Maori tribe in our cabin. They briefly told us about their culture and explained the artefacts that were situated around the room. We were then taught a song in Maori that we would perform that night and taught to play a traditional stick game. The stick game was was great fun and got everybody involved.

During the evening we watched the Maori tribe perform their traditional greeting dance. There would usually be a village tour after this (it was too rainy when we visited). We then watched the Maori tribe perform such dances as poi and the Huka before being treated to a feast!

After the evening guests had left, we were free to use the hot tubs (until midnight) and had our own private bar to order alcoholic drinks from. The weather was too wet to roast marshmallows on the camp fire but the rain didn’t ruin our experience. I would recommend the Tamaki Maori Village overnight stay to all backpackers as it was a once in a lifetime experience!

Reviewed 25 April 2019 via mobile

The entire tour is very professionally organised and gives you some insight into maori culture. From the bus tour ( special mention to our driver Davey who kept us fully entertained in the bus and kept us laughing our guts out) to the performancance and hangi everything was just perfect. They involve the audience in their performance which makes it even special. My 3yo had a blast doing the haka. They are so warm and make you a part of their lives. I will forever remember the words spoken in the farewell where the cheif said if someone asks me what is the most important thing in the world .. I will answer it is the people, people, people.

Reviewed 24 April 2019 via mobile

Had a great time at the Haangi, was a lot of fun and a great cultural event as well. Our bus driver was an absolute blast and all the hosts were incredible. Very much a must do!

1  Thank Josh C
Reviewed 22 April 2019 via mobile

Right from the bus journey to the venue this is a very professional service. The facility is tucked away in the mountains and has a magical feel to it. There is a lot of audience participation allowing the visitior to fully immerse themself in Maori Culture. The Hangi Buffer is scrumptious and a great end to the evening. No one should visit Rotarua without stopping here. I think the impressive reviews speak for themselves. Dress warm now in the cold winter months.

1  Thank DocKS17