“The highlight of my 10 days in Rotorua, possibly my time in New Zealand”
Review of Foris Eco-Tours

Rotorua Bird Watching Adventure
Ranked #31 of 67 Tours in Rotorua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore NZ's finest forest with us! We offer fun, educational nature experiences involving; - a full day hike in the world famous Whirinaki Forest or - fantastic bird watching adventures. Experience nature at its best with NZ's most expert natural history guides.
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I spent about 10 days in Rotorua and this was undoubtedly the best day of all. I knew Whirinaki forest was special as soon as I stepped foot in the place. Whereas Waimangu, Waiotapu and the Redwood forest get much more attention, this incredible forest remains pristine and for a majority of the time, Tom and I were the only souls on the path. I have never been to a place quite like Whirinaki and I was walking in wonder at every turn and corner of this brilliant green rainforest. Of course it was raining in the rain forest, which only enhanced the enchanting beauty of this unique place.

Tom's kind and intelligent presence enhanced the experience as he pointed out plants, fungi, and birds along the path. Tom introduced me to a world that I never knew existed-the world of birding. We even spotted a blue duck! His passion about being outdoors and the environment really shone through the day hike at Whirinaki and conversation about life and nature was thought provoking.

All you need is a good pair of hiking boots and a rain jacket. The hike itself is not difficult and the views of every pocket of this forest are unforgettable. You will learn to see through Tom's eyes as he views the rain forest with passion and knowledge.

As a bonus, the lunch is delicious. Thanks Tom!

3  Thank Jackie A
TomLynchForis, Owner at Foris Eco-Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to spend the day with you. Happy travels. All the best for your future adventures.

All reviews
"nz"
in 8 reviews
"opportunities"

Reviewed 30 August 2017

We spent three superb days with Tom and enjoyed everything he showed us, which included ancient podocarp forests at Whirinaki Conservation Park, the volcanoes at Tongariro National Park, bird life at the Bay of Plenty, and the conservation project at Sanctuary Mountain (Maungatautari). Tom planned excursions that matched our interests in the forests and birds of New Zealand. We were fortunate to see magnificent forests, unusual plants, and great birds, including Wrybills at the Bay of Plenty and Blue ducks (Whio) at Tongariro National Park. Tom is extremely well informed about the natural history and conservation of New Zealand, and his enthusiasm for these subjects made for three very enjoyable days. Tom also steered us in the direction of interesting places to visit in other areas of the North Island, which made our entire trip memorable. We highly recommend Foris Eco-Tours- a great way to see the best of the North Island.

2  Thank sakaiweller
Reviewed 29 January 2017

We were 5 women on a full-day bird-watching adventure. Our experience with Tom was exquisite and so much more fabulous than we ever imagined. He is extremely knowledgeable and very accommodating. If I had to do it over again, I would begin my entire visit to New Zealand with a call to Tom first, book everything he offers and take his advice on the rest of the country. We were blown away. Tom has a wonderful sense of humor, is very thoughtful, cares passionately about the environment, and is a dedicated teacher. Trust me: Start your plans with a call to Tom and Foris Eco Tours!

1  Thank Kris K
Reviewed 28 December 2016

Visiting Whirinaki Forest for the first half of the day and ending the day with rafting was a great way to spend the day out in nature and being active.

1  Thank Bennyl3