Book In Advance
Tours from Volcanic Air tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Volcanic Air
from US$656.10
from US$768.40
from US$171.90
More Info
All reviews active volcano white island float plane helicopter trip mt tarawera scenic flight great pilot live volcano air safaris minute flight pilot guide gas mask the black swan experienced pilot once in a lifetime bucket list incredible trip
Reviewed today via mobile

I booked the dual trip last minute and I'm so glad I did. It really was spectacular. The weather couldn't have been any better so the views were amazing. The staff at the booking office were brilliant, the pilots and guides were hilarious but always professional. As a solo traveller they always offered to take my photograph and made me feel welcome as the rest of the party were a group. Don't think about doing this trip just do it, you will not be disappointed. The only thing I would have liked would have been given an opportunity to comment on Volcanic Airs website to personally thank the pilots. It would be great if details of the pilots and their experiences could be added to Volcanic Airs website. No complaints whatsoever though, a magical day.

Karen Meldrum
Stirling, Scotland

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed yesterday

The white island is other-worldly! Beautiful volcano, landscape and colors. The flight over, watching dolphins and fish in the ocean was wonderful too. The pilot was great. ***My only complaint was the girls at the check in desk. I brought only what I was told to bring in a small bag and was made to leave the bag and hand carry all the contents "due to lack of space on the helicopter". Every single other female on the two helicopters had a bag they carried and one of the men did too. Mine weighed less than a quarter a kilogram. They managed to do what no one had done before on my month long trip, over 3 continents, which was to piss me off. There was more than enough room and my hands were full so couldn't take pictures well at all. I'd give them one star if it wasn't for their pilot making the trip as good as he did after their shenanigans.

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had to work at convincing my wife to take the floatplane ride over Mt. Tarawera. Her comment was “too short” The scenery was magnificent, the pilot was great, the whole experience was wonderful. We highly recommend this excursion.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We did the White Island Helicopter trip with guided island tour and it was amazing. The pilot was very knowledgeable (and personable which makes it all the more enjoyable); he talked about the country and various lakes we flew over, Including the kiwi fruit farms, and told us a little about the helicopter since it was my first time in one. And he pointed out a kiwi (bird) reserve on an island that had been cleared of predators. The kiwis are becoming scarce because they are ground birds and many predators, such as rats and possums, which have been introduced, eat their eggs.
He circled the volcano as we approached it and then landed and walked us around, talking about the lake inside the caldera and how it was formed, the fumaroles and how they worked, the small fresh water streams with gases bubbling up through them. It was all very strange and interesting.
All in all this was one of the highlights of our trip to New Zealand.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Such an incredible trip around some of New Zealand's amazing country. Awesome friendly and helpful staff. Definitely reccomend a look. Not often you get to walk around on an active volcano and what a way to get there, via helicopter! Cheers team, you rock!

Date of experience: November 2018
VA_Rotorua, General Manager at Volcanic Air, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your comment and we are really happy you enjoyed your flight. We agree White Island is an amazing trip, and a one-in-a-lifetime experience!

Reviewed 9 July 2018

What an unforgettable experience, a friendly professional pilot ( thanks Paul ) we were lucky enough to have a beautiful days weather-but what an amazing experience,views over the lakes,Mountains geysers,as far as the sea an even White Island far in the distance,bellowing stem.The floatplanes high wings give great views,even for the kids;
everyone was smiling for a long time after.

Date of experience: June 2018