Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
glennomeister
Wellington, New Zealand

Turned my frown upside down - mostly

Review of Ala Moana Motel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Feb 2022
Totally my fault, I'd booked the wrong room. Reception temporarily unattended so I tried looking up stuff to see where I went wrong. Also noticed the current rates were a lot less than when I'd booked many months earlier.

What followed is a great example of how to look after a customer. Having mentioned my mistake which nothing could be done about, and without mentioning the difference in rates, John saw we had booked at higher rate. He offered a lower one that was a fair middle ground considering general occupancy (obviously still low) and current occupancy (full for a couple of nights). He also mentioning the upstairs outdoor area available to guests, so we could still sit up there with our dinner and enjoy the sort of view we thought we were going to be having.

So, pretty happy!

Unfortunately the hot water situation continues to be tricky. After learning after the last couple of visits that you need to run the water at full speed to get the hot water to come through, that's only good if there is actually hot water available. I took a near-enough-to-cold shower this morning. Luckily my partner showered last night so she avoided it. I'd also had one the previous evening and even then there was a bit of variability. If full occupancy on a summers morning saw the hot water out, I wouldn't want to be trying to have a hot shower on a winters morning.

If it wasn't for the hot water, Ala Moana gets 5 stars from me every time. It's still the only place I've never stayed at when in Paihia.
Date of stay: February 2022
  • eDreams
Pool
    $100
View more hotels in Paihia
All reviews across the road great location small patio plunger coffee minute walk to shops hot water one night beach towels the owner manager shops and restaurants new zealand main town central location one bedroom apartment within walking distance great facilities close to town
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 March 2021 via mobile

Excellent location. Very friendly reception. Clean room and bathroom. Decor a bit tired but that is ok considering everything else was so good and the staff so helpful. Def will visit again when in Paihia.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2020 via mobile

A very reasonable place to stay in the centre of Paihia. Staff were friendly and welcoming. The unit was spacious and spotlessly clean.
Easy walk into the township and restaurants.
The unit was not modern but was well maintained and clean.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2020

Still the only place I've stayed at on land when in Paihia. Can't beat the location.

Room 7 same as last time. Best views are from that room and the family room up the back which is elevated a bit.

Hot water issues same as last time. Had a chat to the guy when checking out after enduring a shower between tepid and outright cold, having to skip washing my (long) hair which really needed it. Needs to be some clear instructions either in the unit or spoken by the person at check in about how to get the water going properly. Otherwise you don't know and it's not much fun.

Next time might opt for the unit up the back like my first two stays several years ago or more.

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank glennomeister
Reviewed 16 February 2020

This motel is very centrally located for the wharf and other amenities. To be honest it is rather dated and needs a bit of a makeover however it is very clean and tidy and staff very welcoming and friendly. The rooms are very functional and have a good kitchenette which is well equipped. It needs a more homely feel and a woman's touch to make it look more inviting and can be done easily. Parking is right in front of the units and only one step up which is good for less mobile and older guests. Would I stay there again, yes without doubt.

Room tip: Rooms all on one floor, number one has bigger patio
Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank 1811027Scott
Reviewed 12 February 2020 via mobile

Great little motel. Bed was comfortable and it had a little kitchenette. Fabulous location across from the beach and a 2 mins walk to the jetty and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again. We had the ocean view room.

Date of stay: February 2020