“Delicious ice cream and sorbet”

Cellini's Ice Cream and Espresso
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Paihia
Reviewed 12 March 2021

A very hot day, exiting the ferry from Russell, and stumbled across this little beauty! The service was friendly and efficient, and the ice-creams really hit the spot. Very reasonably priced also.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (217)

Reviewed 11 January 2021 via mobile

I love icecream it really good quality and I enjoy it. But am feel disappointed with service from one lady there she not even say hi or say thank you for me but with the next customer she greeting very well. 2 small scoops of icecream in the big cup with $5 I think that's standard. Never mind anyway smile it's free if you don't know how to service.( Am Thai sorry about my English language not well in the comments)

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 28 March 2020

Friendly staff and very patient with us as we couldn't make up our minds on what to have! In the end we had the Manuka honey & almond, which was really good. We sat across the road on the waterfront, looking across to the islands in the bay and watched the ferries departing/arriving.

Date of visit: March 2020
Reviewed 28 January 2020 via mobile

Staff were very frieand tried hard to please.
The liberty sundae was super yummy and I highly recommend it.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 17 January 2020

My sister waited ten minutes before the server even looked at her, she was too busy serving all the white people even though my sister was in line first. My friend told me that up north people are pretty racist but I never thought I'd experience it first hand.

Ice cream was amazing though, better than Movenpick across the road.

Date of visit: January 2020
2  Thank Fatima A
cellinispaihia, Owner at Cellini's Ice Cream and Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2020

I don't ever respond to reviews, I believe that the best way to respond is to say thank you by way of improving on whatever shortcomings achieved us a poor review and continuing to do whatever achieved us a good review.

I have always used the reviews as a checks and balance to evaluate my team's performance and to assess potential problems that aren't apparent to me. With negative reviews (when applicable), as few as there are, we use the content to improve on any shortcomings to improve on our customers experience and with the positive ones... we pass those on to our team to let them know that their efforts are appreciated.

We take pride in the fact that we hire from all ethnic backgrounds and have historically maintained 50 to 80% non-white team members. We hire locally first which means majority of our team are either Maori or of Maori decent, we have hired African American, Latin American, Asian and Middle eastern to mention a few. Race, color, sexual orientation and religion are not considerations on either side of our counter.

Our current ice creams are halal to ensure options are available for our Islamic brothers and sisters and are currently looking into making our products conform with Kashrut requirements for our Jewish brothers and sisters.

What kind of racist organization would consider any of the above???

We are here 365 days of the year to serve the public as best as we can and without any exception..... everybody is welcome especially if they're happy and respectful. In January, during the holiday season, we serve on average 1400 to 2000 people per day. We maintain a first come, first serve policy.... NO EXCEPTIONS... however, as hard as we try to facilitate this, we cannot always guarantee we get order of arrival correct. People move around while selecting what they want and this sometimes makes it difficult to judge where people are with reference to arrival time.

In the height of the season it is not uncommon to wait for 10 minutes.... sometimes even 15 minutes, purely due to the volume of patrons and if our patrons are unsure on what they want it can stretch things out. We do our best to combat this by anticipating the patrons level of readiness and moving on to the next ready patron, but this still isn't always effective.

It is possible that 1, 2 or even 3 groups of people, who coincidentally appeared to be caucasian arrived before you, in which case they, if following protocol, would have been served first. If they were a different race or color than they too would have been served before you.

This isn't to say that you didn't arrive first, we may have got it wrong, we try our best to ensure that this doesn't happen but it could have. But that possible simple error no longer matters.

Due to the fact that I wasn't made aware of this issue at the time of occurrence, I'm unable to form a clear opinion of what truly transpired.

When I have some idea of when incidents occur, I can speak with my staff, potentially maybe regulars that witnessed the incident or review video footage but with this, I don't need to do any of the above. We take ownership for our faults here as it is the only way to ensure not making the same mistakes twice but under no circumstances are any of my team nor myself motivated by race. I only have 3 "white " team members.... one of those has 2 beautiful mixed race babies!!!!!! We do not tolerate racism in our shop.

The review that you have posted is baseless, has no merit and is nothing more than pure defamation. I take great offense to the accusation that "we" are racist. If you had stated that we were slow, disorganized or any other number of descriptives, I would have dealt with my team but to make uncalled for and inaccurate character attacks.... I have no tolerance for that.

I'm glad you enjoyed the ice cream!!