“Exquisite”

Indonesia Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 226 Restaurants in Napier
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Temporarily Closed We are on our annual winter break at the moment. Open again on the Sixth of September. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Super amazing local authentic Indonesian cuisine in a beautiful old home what is there not to like ! Dining in this place is a true experience. We had the supreme rijsttafel which had fish, meat and vegetarian dishes and a selection of Sambals, All homemade onsite. The meal is served on an awesome tea light heating plate which keeps everything warm so you can take your time. After our dinner we were given a small sweet treat with a coconut cream not sure what this is but it was delicious! They also sell sambals and various sauces at the counter, brought two to take home. Thanks for the great evening, cant wait to come back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

With my partner we used to pass by this restaurant on our way home every day. We love indonesian food so finally on our day off we decided to go for dinner.
We ordered Soto Ayan soup as Entree, the portion was good but it was kind of bland, not the best soup I've had.
As Main we ordered Nasi Goreng and Bami Goreng, the plate was well presented and the portion big but when we tried it, it was a total disappointment! I went there only for the Nasi Goreng and not only tasted totally bland but also didn't taste as Nasi Goreng is supossed to and the noodles of the Bami Goreng were over cooked.
We are both professional chefs that have travelled and lived in diferents countries because of our profession, we have worked with many indonesians chefs and we have also been to Indonesia.
The restaurant is really nice, the staff friendly and don't mind to answer at our questions, even the owner was nice but it's really bad to read the answer to all the bad reviews here. Gets way too defensive that becomes rude. Should get the bad feedback to try to improve insted of getting upset about it.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal .The variety of food served was lovely.One of our party was gluten free and this was no problem Nice atmosphere and good selection of local wines on offer

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Why is this restaurant number 1 on trip advisor in Napier?
That's the reason I bought my family here.
I admit I don't know much about Indonesian food. But I do know about fresh food and ingredients. Our 'rijs tafel' was a collection of dry stews and curries, clearly cooked some days in advance and maybe reheated daily?
The fresh and pickled veg were OK.
The kids certainly enjoyed the whiteboard things they were given to play with, and the chicken satays were a good choice for them.
Service was pretty jaded, obviously we were there at a busy time of year.
Looking back on the experience I would say if you want a full belly at a reasonable price go here... But I want something more from a restaurant. I want flavour, interest and something I can't cook at home.

Hieke W, Owner at Indonesia Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

I am very sorry to read your disappointment in our food and service.
Unfortunately I do not recall an unhappy table, nor do I feel being “jaded” although I admit some people push their boundaries....
I am aware this might fire back but I’m only human.....

Just to be clear I do Not have any influence on the position of our TripAdvisor rating other than trying to give the best service I can.

I also like to inform you that cooking an Indonesian Rijsttafel is (as explained on our placemats) a process of several days, making the “boemboe” spice mixes and marinades to cure the ingredients and slowcook the food, the traditional way.

Kind regards,
Hieke & Peter (Owners) and Staff
Restaurant Indonesia (Established 1983)

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

We had a business dinner at the restaurant & I was amazed at the main dishes and condiments. Don’t often see such a range and I was suitably impressed. I would recommend dinning here.

Thank you!
Great to have amazed and impressed you.
No reason why business dinners can’t be existing and fun.
If the stuff you have to discuss and the company isn’t who you would prefer, you can still enjoy the Rijsttafel ;-)

Kind regards,
Hieke & Peter (Owners) and Staff
Restaurant Indonesia (Established 1983)