“Average Quality Food”

The Nautilus Restaurant
Ranked #84 of 232 Restaurants in Napier
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

My partner and I dined here as we were staying at the hotel and not feeling up to hitting the town. Although the view is pleasant, the atmosphere was unusual. I had the vegetable soup and my partner had the pork belly. The soup was edible but nothing special and the cracking on the pork belly was black - not a good sign. It filled our bellies but would not go there again

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We dined twice, one dinner and one breakfast, using 'Grab One' deals. (Basically buy two, get one free). Service was excellent.
The dinner was off a shortened menu and we both chose steak. It wasn't eye fillet as shown but scotch fillet which was well cooked and presented. We had no other complaints. Drinks menu was good and very cheap - best pricing that we found in the bay.
Breakfast was a choice of eggs benedict. Again well cooked and presented.
There appears to be an issue with this establishment as despite looking good, good service, etc, it has low patronage. There was only 6 people in restaurant for dinner and we were the first in for breakfast at 0900.
Maybe it is time to review the whole operation and find out why?
Yes, we would go back.

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank Kasper454
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

I know there's mixed reviews on this place, but I couldn't see anything recent so wanted to share our very enjoyable experience. I was actually a little trepidacious about going because of some previous reviews...but there was a Groupon voucher and I also love a deal. I'm so glad we went with this place. It has a nice view of the foreshore, friendly staff, a quiet atmosphere and best of all, excellent food. My mother and I both ordered the pork belly which was utterly delicious, exactly what you hope it will be when you order that dish. I also tried a very interesting and tasty blue cheese ice cream and pear dish for dessert which was a new one for me. It was delicious, and Mum was very happy with her creme brulee.

Overall it was a really nice, quiet and delicious meal, which was just what we needed after a very full on day!

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Out for dinner as had Friends staying down the road. Was one of the worst meals I have ever had. My Main was Pork Belly which was unediable

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 8 June 2017

Where do I start? Very dim lighting made reading the rather dull menu a challenge. We both found it difficult to make a choice, as nothing really jumped out at us. Tragic 70's music was playing very loud for a dining situation. A truly strange mix. One woman diner was constantly texting from her cellphone and should have put it on mute. The very loud 'ping' of an incoming text happened 7 times during our meal. We didnt bother with an entree as nothing appealed to us. The crispy pork belly was ok, but what is always the best part (crackling) was so tough that I could not break it up! Sadly, I had to leave it on my plate. However the salmon had a lovely crispy skin. We found it hard to like any dessert choices too. The banoffe pie was reasonable, but the chocolate rice pudding looked as bad as it tasted. Really sloppy and the presentation was very amature. Its a shame that we never had a great experience, as it was my partners birthday celebration. We wont be back.

Date of visit: June 2017