Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Kevin G
Algester

Unpleasant experience

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Jun 2016
This motel did not resemble anything like the photos the management had posted in their advertisement - which was something I discovered the minute the front door opened! As I was in town for my mother's funeral I had other more important things to be concerned about so I didn't say anything - it was after all only somewhere to sleep for a few days. However, my first night was shocking - there were no curtains on the glass front door or the bathroom and toilet windows that faced the car park. It made me feel very nervous being on my own - plus there was only a push button lock on the front door! The whole motel looked and felt very run-down - light bulbs missing, doors squeaking! Also it was very cold in Napier and the electric blanket didn't work. Feeling very vulnerable, I decided to book out the next morning - even though I'd booked for 4 nights. I wanted to be with other relatives in a nearby motel (where I ended up getting a beautiful room for only $20 more per night - and it felt like a palace compared to what I'd been in!). The management at Pania Lodge were very upset that I wanted to book out and didn't understand that I wanted to be with family at this very upsetting time - and their reason - they're doing it tough in June with no bookings coming in! So, as you can imagine there was very little compassion and it was a very unkind response. It was at this time, I decided to point out the things that were in need of repair in the room. They charged me for the second night and increased the rate by $5 also - but I was not in a position to argue - I just wanted out! I wonder why they were empty in June when other motels were clearly thriving?
Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
2.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
3.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
2.0 of 5 bubblesService
Panialodge, Owner at Pania Lodge Motels Napier, responded to this review
Responded 21 Jun 2016
Thank you for your review. I shall try to address your issues as you have described them. If you had mentioned them to me at the time we could have done something about them and your stay would have been more pleasant. Perhaps moved you to another room. But you had other things on your mind, as you say. I am working on new photos for our rooms because we have actually been improving them. No curtains on the glass door or bathroom and toilet windows. They are totally opaque which you do not mention. Are you deliberately trying to mislead the readers or just an oversight? All our rooms face the car park because everyone can park outside their respective unit, something guests appreciate. We put you into the quietest unit we have out of respect for your situation believing you would like some peace and quiet. There were no light bulbs missing in any of our rooms. Are you referring to a couple of tiny decorative lights outside? Again slightly misleading. I still do not know which door squeaked. I have tried them all. I'm sorry it was cold in Napier. There were quilted blankets and quilted bedspread on the bed and the electric blanket did work, I had tested it only that morning. You booked 4 nights at a specially reduced rate believing you would be joined by other family members but they had booked in somewhere else when you got here. So half way through the next day you decided to leave to be with them. I had every sympathy with your reason for leaving and I only charged you for the half day, another fact you conveniently leave out. You never at any time pointed out the faults. This seems to be a common theme with these review sites which I have noticed when reading other motels reviews. Everyone waits until they get home to complain instead of bringing it to the attention of the owner. Thankfully, we get very very few complaints. It has been over a year since our last '2'. Still, every review has a positive and feedback helps identify problems usually. As for the motel you moved to, it is a more modern addition to the motels in Napier. So, thank you again. Regards John
    $134
    $158
    $134
    $167
View more hotels in Napier
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Very clean, excellent hosts helpful and friendly. Family had a very enjoyable hassle free stay. 5 minutes away from most amenities,swimming pool, shopping center, 8 minutes from napier city center and 10 minutes from marine parade. Will definitely stay there again if we're that way again

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2016

We had a great time with friends down in Napier, the motel was situated on flat ground an easy 4.2km walk to the venue and close to a small shopping centre. Very accommodating management, comfortable unit

Room tip: Wifi access was not the best in our unit but as we had data on our phones it wasn't a problem
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2015

Scrupulously clean unit. Comfortable clean bed and bedding. Helpful and friendly owners. My only grumble would be the towels were a little small. In saying that would definetly recommend Pania Lodge...

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2015

This is a classic motel, no fancy things but all the necessary items to make your stay comfortable. It was clean and we really only used it for sleeping as we spent time with friends during the days.
The room had a double and single plus small kitchenette. Separate shower, basin and toilet. All clean.
Parking out front of unit tight but sufficient. Only issue if neighbours parked outside their allotted space.
We didn't notice any noise between the units but when the neighbour left their door open you could hear every conversation.
Window locks do need attention in the toilet and bathroom otherwise a good stay. We would use again.

Room tip: Rooms at the back don't get the road noise
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2015

Pania Lodge is a nice place to stay - basic but all that you will need. Spotlessly clean, spacious rooms and nice and quiet given it is on a main road. Really good value for money and well worth the stay!

Room tip: We had a rear unit and did not hear any of the main road traffic
Date of stay: April 2015