“Great Small Zoo competes with Zoos in larger citys”
Review of Hamilton Zoo

Hamilton Zoo
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Hamilton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The North Island's largest Zoo is home to over 600 native and exotic animals and set amidst 25ha of lush and tranquil surroundings
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Great Small Zoo competes with Zoos in larger citys”
Reviewed 7 March 2017

Have been to Hamilton Zoo a couple of times before never disappoints, went this time with visiting family and they were impressed at size of compounds and that the animals had lots of room and plenty to do. It is a smaller zoo and does not have a huge variety of animals some larger Zoos do, but what they do have are interesting and well displayed, I have been advised they are expanding in the next year with a farm yard kids interactive area and a lion compound, look forward to taking my grand daughter back in a year or two.

Visited March 2017

“Fantastic Zoo”
Reviewed 3 March 2017

I've been to quite a few Zoos all over the world, Hamilton Zoo is by far one of the more spacious Zoos i've visited. The enclosures were massive (compared to Tokyo Ueno Zoo...) and the animals appeared to not be stressed at all.

Too top that off they were handing free ice lollies they day we visited as well due to the high temperature!

Visited March 2017
“Great”
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

It is best to go as early as possible that way you actually get to see most of the animals other than that it was an awesome day out!!

Visited January 2017
Bombay, New Zealand
“Auckland versus Hamilton zoo”
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I took my cousin here from the USA hadn't seen her in 40 years . My son lives in Hamilton and I was tossing up Auckland again or Hamilton as we had a already had a few trips to Auckland. Well it was a very hot day Jamie had to meet my son so off we went. We both thoroughly enjoyed it the park been surrounded with lots of beautiful trees for shade that was required on the day. The birds were beautiful all the enclosures were very large the animals looked well cared for the staff were very informative and happy to help and answer our questions. We were impressed. We enjoyed the day so much took some beautiful photos, shame about no elephant but hey we cant have everything.. Maybe a kiwi one day would just perfect the Zoo.

Visited January 2017
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Shy animals but good time”
Reviewed 25 February 2017

I know there are always complaints about not seeing the animals. You can read some here and I heard a few people complaining while I was there with my niece but get a grip! They're animals! And it was damn hot! Most were just looking for shade or not being active. You know, just like they would in the wild!! Aside from getting the zoo keepers to 'shoo' the animals out - there isn't much you can do it they don't want to come out.

We still had a great time and saw lots of neat animals. We learnt some new things and had a great walk.

Visited February 2017