Hamilton Zoo
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Hamilton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The North Island's largest Zoo is home to over 600 native and exotic animals and set amidst 25ha of lush and tranquil surroundings
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

It is best to go as early as possible that way you actually get to see most of the animals other than that it was an awesome day out!!

Reviewed 1 March 2017

I took my cousin here from the USA hadn't seen her in 40 years . My son lives in Hamilton and I was tossing up Auckland again or Hamilton as we had a already had a few trips to Auckland. Well it was a very hot day Jamie had to meet my son so off we went. We both thoroughly enjoyed it the park been surrounded with lots of beautiful trees for shade that was required on the day. The birds were beautiful all the enclosures were very large the animals looked well cared for the staff were very informative and happy to help and answer our questions. We were impressed. We enjoyed the day so much took some beautiful photos, shame about no elephant but hey we cant have everything.. Maybe a kiwi one day would just perfect the Zoo.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

I know there are always complaints about not seeing the animals. You can read some here and I heard a few people complaining while I was there with my niece but get a grip! They're animals! And it was damn hot! Most were just looking for shade or not being active. You know, just like they would in the wild!! Aside from getting the zoo keepers to 'shoo' the animals out - there isn't much you can do it they don't want to come out.

We still had a great time and saw lots of neat animals. We learnt some new things and had a great walk.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

The Zoo was a disappointment as we paid good money to see a variety of exotic creatures but actually saw very few. Most of the animals were either too far away to see or hiding. We complained on the way out and were told the animals were probably sleeping. To be honest it was a waste of money.

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Lovely family day out
Pack your bags with drinks and lunch or you purchase items
Kids enjoyed it as did we