“Nah. Let down..”

Speights Ale House
Ranked #40 of 425 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Speights Ale House in Hamilton is perfectly situated between two of Hamiltons great focal points; the Waikato River and Waikato Stadium. It's the ideal place to meet before or after a stadium event, be it rugby or a concert. The bar may be modern but you'll enjoy the rustic decor with schist rock, exposed wooden beams and copper piping creating a true southern ambience. The menu has hearty southern fare and has its own quirky personality - we reckon it's the only menu featuring 'Moa' or 'Arran's Sore Ribs'. All of which tastes even better when accompanied by and award winning Speights ale off the tap.
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Ive been here before and written nice things. But I don't think I'll try again.
They didn't have the Appletons for the cocktail so cancelled that after waiting over 10 minutes. Fail.
They didn't have the Auzzie Shiraz on the wine list so had another. Fail.
Ordered the 'signature' Med/R Southern Man Scotch and it looked good. It was overcooked, tough and had gristle right through it. Sent it back and left. Fail.
The on-line menus seem to be more up to date than the ones in the venue
"Foundation" was a better idea.
I'll leave the Alehouse to the rugby crowds.
(First time I've sent a meal back. Ever.)

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Went for dinner on Sunday 8/7/2018 7.30pm. Quiet night with maybe 12 people in total and at least 5 front of house staff. Our order was taken , drinks took 10 minutes and only received them when we asked staff. Meal still hadn't arrived at 8.15 at which time I asked what was happening? No adequate response so we left. What was most annoying, not once did any staff come over and check with us even though we were head turning and looking at them. It was like we were invisible. Not once were we approached. The service wasn't bad because there was no service to even rate.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I had a wonderful meal here! My pate was a very generous serving and divine; the battered fish to follow was beautifully cooked. The waiter assigned to our table was attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Nice ambience, warm and friendly. Thanks folks!

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Will not be returning to this venue. While the wait staff were lovely, my steak was well over cooked so I asked if the meal could be done again. It took ages and then the meal was missing the yorkshire pudding, so I asked the waitress if I could have one, she returned to say the chef refused to give one, I told her to get the chef!! The chef didn't come out, but the waitress with the yorkshire pudding did. Duty manager was very apologetic when I spoke to her, but when she returned to take our dessert order, she advised she had spoken to the chef, who said he was being sarcastic to the waitress and didn't mean it; whatever!! Why would you let the waitress walk out of the kitchen if you were just joking around??

1  Thank PhilippaE42
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

We had lunch here recently on a Friday and were quite surprised at how quiet it was, in terms of the number of diners. Good service and we didn’t have to wait long for our food. I had the pork belly and partner had the blue cod and chips. Both meals were good and were enjoyed! We also had dessert a apple and berry crumble, which was delicious, and carrot cake which was reasonable, maybe just a little heavy/solid. Good place to go for casual lunch.