“Exceptional as always”
Review of Chim Thai

Chim Thai
Ranked #4 of 430 Restaurants in Hamilton
Price range: US$11 - US$23
Description: We are closed ANZAC DAY (​25th April). Welcome to Chim Thai! "Chim" in Thai means to taste. We take pride in our cuisine and its presentation.We believe in serving food that is good quality and made of the freshest ingredients. We are an authentic Thai restaurant located in Rototuna, Hamilton. Tease your taste buds with hot, sour, sweet and salty Thai cuisine with aromatic herbs and spices.
Reviewed 19 September 2020

We were finally able to introduce our non-Rototuna based friends to the Chim Thai experience. Going in a group means you get to try lots of different dishes and they are all super fresh and super tasty. We love that their meat is free range, the service is always excellent and we have never been disappointed. Our friends are now converts too.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank Jane S
don45south, Owner at Chim Thai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2020

Thank you for the great review and thanks for introducing your friends to our restaurant.
We really appreciate your support.

Write a reviewReviews (166)

Reviewed 11 September 2020

Good family gatherings. The food was delicious. The atmosphere is great for dining. The restaurant has high chair for kids.

1  Thank OraparnB
don45south, Owner at Chim Thai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2020

You are most welcome and we appreciate receiving a great review. Thank you.

Reviewed 10 September 2020

20 people for dinner and the service was fabulous. Everyone enjoyed their meals, staff and food was great!

1  Thank 143judeb

Thank you for your great review, which is really appreciated

Reviewed 8 September 2020 via mobile

I have been here quite often as the food is usually great. However, I ordered a takeaway crying tiger steak medium rare, when I got home it was well over done! As a foodie, I question whether or not a steak should even be on the takeaway menu!

Date of visit: September 2020
don45south, Owner at Chim Thai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2020

Dear Foodie,
Thank you for your observation that our food is usually great, but on this occasion you found a takeaway steak from a Thai Restaurant to be overcooked. The ancient belief is that cows in the Thai forest were eaten by tigers. People would come across the remains of these cows and they imagined the tigers would have cried because most of them left the brisket cut to rot instead of eating it. People used this cut to cook a delicious dish and named it "crying tiger". So traditionally, brisket was used for the dish,which was well cooked. Thai chefs generally are not trained or experienced in the western manner of cooking steak rare, medium, well done etc and if this is what you like I suggest you avoid this selection. Like you, I prefer medium rare and mostly I find steak houses struggle to get it right these days compared to a few years ago. So I do not hold high expectations of a Thai restaurant in this regard. In my view, the dipping sauce is the critical element of the dish. So I hope you will forgive on this occasion and we may have the privilege of your custom in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2020

My long black coffee with no sugar was positively divine, I will most definitely bring my patronage back, Thanks again Tom

1  Thank ReefM9
don45south, Owner at Chim Thai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2020

Thank you for your great feedback and compliments for Tom