Lowest prices for your stay
$199
Agoda.com
$180
Fully refundable before Thu, 18 Apr
Easy and fast booking
All reviews car park pool view separate bedroom reception area great room the main road receptionist river
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 December 2023

Very much regretted staying here. Although the room was clean, the hotel itself was very shabby, with green pool, long empty corridors that were patched and cracked, doors to the garages jammed open so anyone can come and go, and smelled damp and musty. Some staff were friendly but others dismissive of concerns like flooding. Will not be going back.

Date of stay: December 2023
Reviewed 12 December 2023 via mobile

Okay. Starting with the positives the sheets were clean and the bed was pretty comfortable. Also the view of the river was lovely.
The hotel is so run down. The rooms are not clean. They supply some dishes and cutlery with liquid detergent but no cloth or tea towel. They don’t service the room - well they pulled up my bed - didn’t wash dishes or wipe anything. There was a squashed fly in the door frame of the internal door and a huge crack in the ceiling. The courtyard area was totally infested with pigeons. The pool was green and smelly. They were trying to fill the spa section with concrete??! On the third night there was heavy rain and water was pouring through a light fitting. No one answered the phone when I called reception repeatedly. Will not be back!

Room tip: Do not stay here.
Date of stay: December 2023
Reviewed 20 November 2023

Please do not stay here! All the reviews are right - this is the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at. I arrived on a Sunday and there were no staff to be found. I wasn’t even sure the hotel was open, it looked deserted. Checked myself in by finding my own key and finding room. No pool, no cafe, no bedding on bed, no cutlery, no plates, no working TV. How this place is still open is beyond me. Honestly, if I could give it zero stars, I would.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2023

This used to be, by far, the best hotel in Gisborne. I always demanded this hotel. It is sad to see that it has gone down hill. A nice room but clearly the maintenance people are not being managed. It all looks very tired. It used to look like the photo (left)... not any more !

Date of stay: November 2023
Reviewed 18 November 2023 via mobile

I was booked here on business as a solo female traveller. This hotel was disturbing in so many ways - unclean, run down, and eerily empty. When I checked in I had to walk round and round empty corridors to find my room at an end where the hallway lights were out and paint fumes were heavy as someone was working in the corridor.
The carpet was stained, the walls were damaged, there was a foul smell from the bathroom drain and the cleaners had only cleaned what they could see - the inner wall of the bath had hair stuck to it and the front lip of the toilet was filthy. The sheets were short on the bed and neither of the bed side lamps was working. There were no coat hangers in the massive wardrobe and the spare pillows were stored on the floor. The ironing board was ripped. I could go on and on, suffice to say that this hotel was the worst introduction to Gisborne I could have had, and my colleagues with their local knowledge were so embarrassed that our booking agent put me there.
Ultimately Gisborne was beautiful but don't spend any money at the Emerald!

Date of stay: November 2023