Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jeremy L
Christchurch, New Zealand

Disgusting and unsafe

Review of Emerald Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Mar 2023via mobile
What can I say I have stayed at hotels all around the world the check in experience would be the worst by far it’s in a world of its own. I arrived after work around 330pm on a Wednesday to customer just tapping on the metal bell. She looks at me and says “there’s never anyone here to help” she bangs the bell again and says “ I have been here 10 minutes I have had enough and walked off. I stood there and waited around 10 minutes I rang the bell once. After another 5 minutes I walked around the corner to find three staff in a laughing conversation in the corridor close to the lift. I was sort of greeted then they went back to reception to check me in. Well it was disgusting the lady was so rude yelling at me about paying prior to getting the keys. The owner says no money you can’t stay. I was booked through work voucher all paid. But no she wasn’t budging. I made a phone call. In between this another customer was treated the same. Finally 15 minutes later my travel guy rang back he asked to speak to her the way she spoke to him and myself and the other two guests I witnessed was beyond rude. If the whole town wasn’t booked out I would of left after the first rude comments. Ok skip to Friday morning 428am fire alarm goes off. I open my door and smell smoke. I head downstairs and there is a group of around 40 guests gathered in reception. It’s raining heavily outside. Basically they talked about this happening all the time and that no staff are there over night. It’s a large hotel which isn’t safe or possibly legal to have unmanned anytime. Anyway a guest who arrived 20 minutes later from back of hotel said it was a rubbish bin fire. Still no staff no evacuation check off nothing at all. If the hotel was on fire they wouldn’t have a clue who was missing. Completely unsafe. Do not stay at this hotel.
Date of stay: February 2023
Room Tip: Don’t stay at the emerald
Trip type: Travelled on business
  • ZenHotels.com
    $249
3.3 km from Emerald Hotel
View more hotels in Gisborne
All reviews car park pool view separate bedroom reception area great room the main road receptionist river
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 January 2023

Lovely welcome by a great receptionist, who was most helpful. A strange hotel, the room we had was great and spotlessly clean. Spacious and well equipped. The rest of the hotel was tired and needs money spent on it. The on site bistro was closed. The pool is a good size but needs some maintenance. A great location and fab rooms, we stayed an extra night! Please could someone invest in this lovely little hotel?

Room tip: No restaurant on site but a great pub nearby.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2023

The worst hotel in New Zealand by a mile, it is run down and is well overdue for an update, it is not suitable, I couldn't wait to leave. I regret not having read the reviews before booking, The only positive is the front desk staff were friendly and helpful , I can't understand why they are still working there.

Room tip: Do not stay here
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2023

This Hotel needs to be shutdown and someone needs to be found to invest in completely renovating it. We booked to stay 3 nights to attend a friend's birthday. The first night was successful in that we were able to access the room which on initial inspection was disappointing. There was a kettle, one tea cup (for 2 people!?), no cuttlery (at all!) and no milk in the fridge or tea/coffee facilities.
The 2nd night we returned from a night out to find that our access cards would not give us access to the hotel. The Emergency Number on the door went to Voice-mail. The Police (across the road) were unable to assist and advised us that the Hotel was required (by Law) to have someone on the premises or contactable by phone. We managed to access the Hotel by an open door that we had used earlier from the Car Park to the rear. But the access cards did not work on our door. We were unable to find anyone in the Hotel to assist us and so had to think out of the box as to where to spend the night. Sadly I am a recent Cancer patient recovering from Chemotherapy and Radiation treatment. Followed by surgery to remove my bowels and bladder. Hence a new plumbing system which requires access to Colostomy and Urostomy paraphernalia which I was unable to access as they were locked in the room. Needless to say we checked out of the Hotel the next morning having been assured that we would receive our money back. We're still waiting and you'll find that nobody answers the phone or replies to messages that have been left. BE WARNED ⚠️

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2023 via mobile

NOT anywhere near a 4.5 star standard and hideously overpriced for a grotty, unkempt room. Numerous stains, hair and blood on the doona, filthy carpet, bathtub/shower broken and leaking badly onto floor, tv only working intermittently… just to name a few. I appreciate the fact that all businesses are suffering a lack of staff but surely management and proprietors should take note at the amount of very poor ratings the venue is getting. This is a very tired, sad building in dire need of maintenance and thorough cleaning. Would not recommend and will not be back.

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2022

On arrival at reception could hear a lot of people chatting, laughing even foul language coming from front office. Got to room keycard didn’t work so had to go back down. Inside room smelt musty, not cleaned. All decor, carpet dusty as. Balcony had bird poo on it including table. Never again. Staff were friendly but looked overworked n tied.

Date of stay: October 2022