All reviews home away from home place to stay cooked breakfast for dinner one night fantastic hosts talented chef in easy walking distance lovely house new zealand kiwi hospitality the kitchen barry accommodation
Reviewed 26 May 2018

Barry and Ros are fantastic hosts who made us feel very welcome. It was our wedding anniversary and they made us feel very special.
This was my first time at a B&B. I'm somewhat introverted and had always been put off by the idea of having to make small talk over breakfast (before coffee, even!). Barry and Ros are perfectly suited to being B&B hosts: they were, for us, the right combination of friendly and non-intrusive, with a relaxed and open manner. If all B&B operators are like them, then I'm a convert for B&B's.
As other reviewers have noted, the breakfasts are amazing. I'm sad to say that on the second day we weren't able to finish as we'd had a large dinner the night before, but Barry (the chef) didn't seem offended; breakfasts are quite large, and I think he is used to it.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnH13342
Reviewed 7 May 2018

Stayed one night only out of two. It was a catalogue of extremely poor service starting when my wife asked for more hangers for clothes. The owner was extremely rude. We did not stay the second night as it was so bad, the en-suite is a caravan in the garden with very little space. The owners parting words to my wife and I were 'you are two obnoxious poms'. Fine if he thinks that but I would beware of staying at this establishment. It was fortunate our next stay was with friends in Napier in that I was able to contact them and arrange to go to their house the next day. The attitude of the owner totally ruined our stay in Gisborne

Room tip: Beware the en-suite is a caravan in the garden with a very poor electrical supply
Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank FRANCIS D
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Barry and Ros are friendly welcoming hosts. The room was beautifully clean and had all the amenities I needed for my 3 night stay. The breakfasts Barry cooked were amazing and so delicious. The rate was so minimal and the accommodation and food was so fabulous. I will definitely return to stay again.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Barry and Ros makes you feel at home in their lovely house. I can't thank them enough for their hospitality. I got to use their bicycle for free which saved me the cost of hiring. On the day of my departure Barry even dropped me off at the airport as he was going to visit his mum that lives nearby. Barry's incredible breakfasts are something to remember, they set you up for the day, wow.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank torbstolpe7
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

The couple owning the place is so nice and love their job. They take extra care of us, particularly then it comes to food. The breakfast was divine! The guy is a very talented chef.

We have the impression to be part of their family. Would definitely go back again.

Date of stay: February 2018