All reviews home away from home place to stay cooked breakfast for dinner one night fantastic hosts talented chef in easy walking distance lovely house new zealand kiwi hospitality the kitchen barry accommodation
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Barry and Ros are friendly welcoming hosts. The room was beautifully clean and had all the amenities I needed for my 3 night stay. The breakfasts Barry cooked were amazing and so delicious. The rate was so minimal and the accommodation and food was so fabulous. I will definitely return to stay again.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Barry and Ros makes you feel at home in their lovely house. I can't thank them enough for their hospitality. I got to use their bicycle for free which saved me the cost of hiring. On the day of my departure Barry even dropped me off at the airport as he was going to visit his mum that lives nearby. Barry's incredible breakfasts are something to remember, they set you up for the day, wow.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank torbstolpe7
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

The couple owning the place is so nice and love their job. They take extra care of us, particularly then it comes to food. The breakfast was divine! The guy is a very talented chef.

We have the impression to be part of their family. Would definitely go back again.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Companion758063
Reviewed 7 February 2018

My stay at Surf City Logde absolutely made my visit to Gisbourne. Barry and Ros were so warm and welcoming and provided lots of local information and suggestions on activities. Barry's culinary skills have to be experienced to be believed... you won't get a better breakfast anywhere. The lodge is in easy walking distance to the main strip. All this combines to make an experience worth several times the price.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank fabul0usm0nster
Reviewed 10 January 2018

I am so happy and grateful to have found Surf City Lodge in the resplendent and historical Gisborne.
To experience such warmth and welcome, quality and character, comfort and security from any 5 star accommodation anywhere on the planet, is rare.
However it is uniquely and magnificently given to you here by Barry and Roz.
When I arrived it was more like a homecoming than a checking in and thereafter I was part of the family.
Having strict dietary requirements, the breakfast they created for me is amongst the finest I will ever eat.
I'm sure this will be echoed by the beautiful Maori and Påkehå ladies Dolly, Karen and Rose who were staying there too.
Before they left they sang a song for our hosts as a Maori tradition commending them for their exemplary hospitality. One which is performed as a mark of respect when such esteemed compassion is shown for one's guests and I can certify that this is exactly what was shown to me the whole time I was there.
I was blessed enough to see many wonders on my travel through New Zealand and the Surf City lodge is one of them. I am sure it will be one of yours too.
I look forward to staying with you guys again. Thank you so much!

Date of stay: December 2017