“Just excellent”

Ranked #12 of 2,491 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$80 - US$170
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We entertain with fine food and personable service that imparts knowledge and storytelling. Our focus is to showcase the New Zealand ingredients we use and their regional diversity. This comes to life in preparation and presentation. We are not a restaurant with a defined technique; we are guided by what best represents our ingredients. We cook precisely executed and boldly flavoured dishes that are unified and balanced, dishes that embody progression and purpose. We have an intimate relationship with the growers of our ingredients and where we can we tend and grow our own. We care about running an ethical, sustainable business where people love to eat, and our staff are proud to work.
Reviewed 18 November 2018

A group of 12 of us got the downstairs dining room for a degustation meal. It was excellent. Several of the options I was less sure of but overall the food was delicious. The service was superb.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 15 November 2018

Asked for George and the staff were very rude, I thought maybe he might be a waiter here or maybe work in the kitchen. When I asked what the names of the staff were, they asked me to leave.

Date of visit: August 2018
4  Thank CocotheClown2015
Reviewed 1 November 2018

I had the pleasure of dining here in early November. I must say, I was completely boweled over by the experience, in a good way!

The philosophy of the restaurant — which is to showcase the best of NZ-sourced ingredients — shines through all of its dishes. We enjoyed the canapé-degustation menu with paired wines, which was absolutely perfect! This was stretched out over four glorious hours.

I don’t wish to be lewd by any means, but if one could ever be allowed to describe a delightful culinary experience as a gloriously prolonged food-orgasm, then this would be it. In less colourful language, this was truly a showcase of NZ’s finest food culture.

What made our experience even better was the obvious passion shown by the staff. The owner, Tony Stewart, was on the floor carefully explaining the stories behind the dishes to each diner, and it added extra dimensions to our enjoyment. The positively knowledgeable and delightfully humorous French sommelier (I’m sorry I’ve forgotten his name) could not have been more helpful in allowing us to appreciate the superb selection of wines.

Visiting Auckland (and NZ) for the first time, I was completely smitten by this place, and it will be one of the top reasons why I will be back in Auckland again soon. Kudos to all of the people at Clooney!

Not cheap, but a highly worthwhile way of spending your hard-earned $ and your time. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank au_traveller_77
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Tonight we celebrated our anniversary at Clooneys. We had the degustation menu. Service, food, ambience and seating arrangements were excellent. Won’t tell you the menu as it’ll spoil the surprise

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Wow. Wonderful intimate low lit bar and restaurant area with all the lighting centred on the food and the plated experience was simply beautiful. Could the food taste as good as it looked? Well make sure you try the incredible canape ‘tribute to Maori’. Creative beyond words and the flavours coupled with beautifully well explained intro by the team was simply exquisite. Kingfish and Lagostine entres prepared perfectly and the lamb and Hapuna mains we had divine...and I was full at the end of it and couldn’t eat a morsel more. Couple all that with a beautiful range of wines to chose from starting in France, then Waiheke followed by their last bottle of Paritua Shiraz and we had a heavenly night. Sadly my best mate died the day before, so we drank to his amazing life and perhaps that made us appreciate it all a bit more. Highly recommend but it isn’t cheap...

Date of visit: October 2018