“A hidden gem deserving praise”
Review of Sri Penang

Sri Penang
Ranked #48 of 2,467 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Its been 7 years since we last ate at Sri Penang and I'm happy to say the heart is still in the kitchen and carried on the floor. We booked a table for 5, parked where they recommend at that time (8 second walk) and watched numerous casuals turned away. Service with a smile and perfect. Beef Rendang was a dryer curry, absolutely delicious and tender, Mee Gorang was huge, devilled lamb delivered...also a dry curry with beans that I loved, a squid dish was laced with lemon grass and perfect, devilled chicken which was a wetter curry and I was too full to try it! We were warned it was a lot of food but added 3 roti and rice on advice. Add a BYO riesling or beverage of your choice (BYO is $1 per person) and you're onto the best value, tastiest meal in Auckland. Go with a group and go with the staffs recommendations...they have been there for 20 years and I hope for at least another 20.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

A restaurant with very nice atmosphere, good food, friendly staff. Prices are very good and coherent with the quality of the food provided. BYO alcohol.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Sri Penang was an excellent experience. My party brought our own bottle of wine with us, which we had decorked. It was my first time experiencing Malaysian food and it was amazing. Very flavorful, with plenty of vegetarian options. Honestly, I couldn't get the fried rice I had out of my head, and have been back many times. The staff is extremely friendly, as well.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Definetly recommending this malaysian restaurant! We had dinner there twice in three nights and would go there again if we weren't to leave Auckland tomorrow.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We, a family and friends of had dinner at Sri Pinang this week. Our booking was at 7 PM and our table was reserved and were seated at the table by 7:00 pm. No Hassle of waiting for the previous patrons to complete their dinner. Service was very good. The staff opened our wine bottles without any fuss. The mains came right on time as we were midway through our wines.The flavours in all the dishes were amazing. The okra and fish curry had great flavours and tastes of lemon grass, tamarind, ginger. It was great. Sambal was wow. Very dish we ordered were fantastic. Portions were good. Cleanliness was good. It is a small restaurant with the minimum trappings and very good food. Very good service. Price are right. Will visit again.