“Birthday dinner”

Sails Restaurant
Reserve a table
Ranked #2 of 1,978 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sails Restaurant has an amazing location. Set in the middle of Westhaven Marina, beside the Harbour Bridge, with breathtaking views of the harbour. There are few views in the world that capture the essence of the city than the one from Sails Restaurant. A couple of minutes from the centre of Auckland, yet in a world of its own, with unlimited free parking at the door, Sails Restaurant is not just about its location. Over the last three decades the restaurant has forged its reputation as one of New Zealand’s top restaurants through an uncompromising belief in using only the freshest ingredients, the most talented chefs, and professional waiting staff. The menu at Sails is seafood focused, but also includes New Zealand’s finest beef and lamb. The full menu and all the details can be found on our website.
Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Dined at Sails tonight for my birthday, the new rennovations are fanastic and as always the food was divine. Theres an older guy whos always there dark hair, quite often refreshing drinks and taking payments...didnt catch his name but he is awesome. Hes been there every time ive been the past two years and he has fanastic customer service and always has a big smile.

Date of visit: February 2016

Reviewed 6 February 2016

We booked online and requested a quiet spot with a view. We were not disapoointed.
The evening was flawless. Excellent unobtrusive service. Obliging staff who attended to our every need and query. The meals from the Seafood range were hot and beautifully prepared. Not over cooked. Hot plates and serving portions just right.
Our deserts were monogrammed with "Happy 50 th Wedding Anniversary" in chocolate. A much appreciated touch. Thank you to staff and chef. A memorable night for us!

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

First post refurb visit. I wondered if I might jinx the visit by declaring I had never had a bad experience in 25 years, and I didn't.

Greeted warmly but professionally, we were guided to our table and immediately asked would we like drinks organised which we really appreciated instead of waiting .

We had the Thai squid entrees all round stunning, mains steak , Fish of Day, lamb, all absolutely delicious . We ordered sides as well as we were hungry . 2 of us had desserts and they were mouthwatering especially the chocolate fondant cooked to perfection .

We then imbibed in 24 year old port , sigh died and gone to heaven.

I am struggling to find anything I could offer constructive criticism on , the only thing I could offer is the the ladies bathrooms new wall hung toilets look pretty but don't flush properly !!!!

Everything I like about this magnificent Jewell in aucklands crown is true today , stunning food, beautiful views, and true professionals staff who know their stuff , are all witty, smart snd appropriate .

Prices , yes they are premium but not over the top, and in fact given that mains in some very average eateries are not much less in my view makes this a very fair exchange .

Would unquestionably recommend for visitors , romance , family and friends , noisy children would not be welcome !

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 17 January 2016

I dined at a work social dinner recently. It has been quite some time since I visited Sails, for no real reason (I guess I've been spreading myself around all of the other new eating spots of late). I have always had enjoyable meals here and tonight was no exception. The dining room was essentially the same, the high ceilings, the big windows looking out at Westhaven and the Auckland Harbour Bridge. I found the staff to be formal, but thoroughly professional (although it wouldn't have hurt the man behind the front desk to smile once in a while). The food won't change your life, but good food doesn't always have to. The food always showcases quality ingredients, especially seafood, cooked and presented to a very high standard. They also have a deep wine list and the staff are knowledgeable in this department.
I started with the whitebait fritter, sweet beautiful South island whitebait in a batter that in no way lessened the flavour of the star of the dish. Add in the mayo, fennel and the sweet cherry tomatoes and this dish was gone, washed down with a glass of Astrolabe SB. My main, of John Dory and scallop was tasty and perfectly cooked; the chef's first attempt apparently was overcooked, I was informed by the waiter and told it would take another couple of minutes which it did. I appreciated the heads up and the desire to make sure the meal was perfect. I don't always enjoy fruit with my meat but the raisins and capers all went well with the fish. My better half had the lamb which was predictably tender and perfectly cooked. Churros rounded out a very satisfying dining experience. If you have never eaten at Sails, you really should give it a try

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 7 January 2016

We can't give an opinion on the food here, as we left before we got that far. So many things wrong with this place. They opened their doors dead on the first booking time leaving booked diners out in the cold wind to wait, although we could see them inside. As 'tourists' we were given a table away from the main area and left to our own devices. The waitress was surly and the wine waiter argumentative. We left and explained why to the maitre d, who did nothing to rectify the situation.

Date of visit: January 2016