“An Excellent Dining Experience”

O'Connell St Bistro
Ranked #10 of 2,467 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located in Auckland's historic central business district, multi award winning O'Connell Street Bistro is an intimate modern European back street Bistro. Awarded 1 Hat in the Cuisine Good Food Awards 2017 & holder of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2000. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 11 September 2018

We returned recently for dinner and found O'Connell St Bistro to still be an establishment with appealing ambience and excellent service and food offerings.

Service is very professional without being overly formal; a nice balance. Wait staff are impeccably presented and set the tone for a dressy special occasion as this was for us and clearly others around us.

We didn't avail ourselves of the sommelier's advice, but this service is also a positive point of difference from most restaurants.

Our meals were cooked and presented very well; the duck breast delicious and generous with well chosen accompaniments.

The chocolate dessert, whilst a small serving for the male appetite, was delicious.

The only minor negative was that we were a table of two between a table of ten and another of eight, so the noise level was somewhat intrusive at times. However, we appreciate that the small size of the dining area limits other table arrangements.

Thanks again for flawless delivery of an excellent dinner.

Date of visit: August 2018
CUpton1, Manager at O'Connell St Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Hello Parnellian

Thank you for your review of O'Connell Street Bistro & for your continued support of the Bistro.
I have noted your comments regarding the chocolate dessert & also the table configuration, which was not our usual table layout the evening you dined with us.

However, we're pleased that you enjoyed your evening & we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

My wife and I had our anniversary dinner here, and loved everything about our evening. Both the food and service were "Top Notch". The restaurant is nice and intimate, perfect for the occasion.

Hello CR111

Thank you for your review of O'Connell Street Bistro & for sharing your recent experience with your fellow TripAdvisor readers.
We're delighted that you enjoyed your celebration dinner when you visited the Bistro & look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2018

This restaurant has great ambiance, it's intimate, the service is top notch and Benji really knows his wines. Mark produced a four course menu that delivered a variety of flavours that made each course outstanding. The Butternut, Ginger, Kaffir Lime & Coconut soup with goats cheese beignet combined interesting elements that made us look forward to what was coming next.

The shellfish risotto with buttered prawns and sorrel was so good I wanted to lick my plate. But the piece de resistance was the crusted braised Origin South lamb shoulder. It was so tender and melted in the mouth with the subtle flavours of the ratatouille.

But then the milk chocolate creameaux, honeycomb with salted caramel & barley malt ice cream was a stunner. Matched with an amazing Gonzalez Byas Pedro Ximenez Sherry it was reminiscent of Xmas pudding and really enhanced the dish.

What a great night out it was, made special by meeting Mark himself.

Hello kerryh164

Thank you for your review of O'Connell Street Bistro.
We're delighted that you enjoyed our Auckland Restaurant Menu in August & hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful surprise, local high end, locally sourced and frankly perfect. I couldn’t decide between the pappardelle (house made) with rabbit rage, seafood risotto, or the duck with the black garlic and cheese sauce and date sauce. I had the duck.going back on this week.

Hello Stephanie1178

Thank you for your review of O'Connell Street Bistro.
We're delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Bistro, especially our Duck main course
& thank you for sharing your experiences with your fellow TripAdvisor readers.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Hubby and I dined here for the first time in a number of years on Sat night. The menu was amazing....I wanted to try almost every dish on it. Our service felt alightly rushed to begin with but this settled down and was excellent overall and certainly at fine dining level as expected for a place like OCB. I had a risotto special as my entree...OMG....it was superb and I wish I’d opted to have it as a main instead as it was so delicious. Hubby had the oysters which he rated very highly. The wine list was extensive and impressive and would certainly cover all tastes.
I had the rabbit parpadelle main which was tasty and nice but I wish perhaps had something other than just meat...it was a bit meaty for me. I think a case of not making a good choice rather than there being anything wrong with the dish. Hubby had the lamb rack which was nice but not outstanding. Desserts were creme brulee and poached pears (2seperate dishes) both of which were served in generous portions. The creme brulee looked lovely despite pretty ordinary presentation. Hubby seemed to enjoy it well enough but also made the comment that he could have done just as well at home. My dessert was fruity and refreshing with sweet notes and lovely texture provided by the crumble.
The toilets....OH DEAR....what were you thinking OCB when you allowed this atrocity into your establishment. Firstly they’re just not all that nice for a restaurant of this calibre, secondly I find it revolting to had to wash my hands in a cistern-based hand basin where water is forth-coming by means of flushing the toilet. I understand the water is clean etc but it’s just not a good set up, not a good look. And you get water all over the toilet seat for the next un-suspecting toilet go-er. Must’ve been a lot of people squirming uncomfortably with wet bottoms I suspect.

Date of visit: July 2018
CUpton1, Manager at O'Connell St Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Hello kristabel2016

Thank you for your review of O'Connell Street Bistro which somewhat bemused us with the abundant use of paradoxes.

Overall you have appeared to enjoy most of your evening with us recently, with positive comments on our menu & wine list,
which is pleasing to note.

I'm sorry that your husband felt that our crème brulee was ordinary in it's presentation, as many of our customers enjoy that exact simplicity of presentation of the dessert that you would find in most classic French Bistros & is indeed described as a "classic" crème brulee on our menu.

With regard to your comments about our environmentally friendly water saving toilets, these are clean & well maintained & are provided for use by the Bistro's patrons by our landlord, not the restaurant. In the 10 years since their installation, they have received many positive comments about the design.

However, thank you for taking the time to record your feedback.