“Please go to this restaurant!”

Cafe Midnight Express
Ranked #16 of 2,345 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2017

It had been 2 years since I had been to this restaurant. To be honest, I completely forgot about this place. Mainly because of the recent roadworks blocking out the street view of this restaurant. Well, all I can say that it is a shame that I counted this place out because this place is still as great as it was before. The only thing lacking in my opinion is street view (can't be helped) and the menus since they are quite old and in my opinion, need reprinting or maybe even an update since it's been the same for years. But still, what this restaurant has been doing for years is delivering consistently good food.

We ate here on Easter Monday and the most surprising thing happened. Instead of there being a surcharge, there was a discount. An entree and a main for only $25. Keep in mind that most mains at this restaurant are ranging from $20-$25 so this was like a free entree. This baffled me as to why they would possibly be doing such big discounts – but I'm not complaining.

I ordered a mezze platter, the haloumi cheese and a midnight mix. It's surprising how quickly they brought out the food with only 3 people in the kitchen. Moreover, the food does not look or taste like it was made in a rush. The mezze platter was presented well and everything that it had on it was delicious. I have to say, the hummus at this place is top notch. It's even better than supermarket hummus which is quite hard to beat. Most Mediterranean restaurants that "make" their own hummus usually tastes mediocre or bland. But we go along with it since it's "freshly made". This place is not your regular mediterranean restaurant though. The haloumi cheese was like a tiny sandwich which was cute and tasty. My midnight mix came shortly after and let me tell you, this is the best thing to order if you can't make up your mind on what you want. It has a bit of everything so you feel fulfilled knowing that you just tried like 3 mains at the same time. All 3 meats on the dish were superb. They were cooked and flavoured well. Not too much and not too little. Overall, I would rate this a 5 out of 5. Great value and great food. Do not count this place out because of the roadworks.

2  Thank Sohail D

Reviewed 17 April 2017

We did not want a huge meal and were pleased with our choice of a platter and dessert. The total bill came to $33 for the 3 of us. Excellent value for money.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Had a light meal here en route to a visit to the casino across the road. Shared a large platter and calamari plus drinks for around $50.
Noisy and tables squashed together but atmosphere was generally good humoured, staff very helpful. Why it's named after a prison/druggie movie I have no idea.

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

Went to his restaurant after reading the fantastic reviews on TA; I was expecting great things...sadly they did not materialise 5 of us ate there, they turned the air conditioning up so high we were shivering, had to ask a couple of times for it to be turned up.
The food was mediocre at best...2 of us had the chicken shush, which was tasteless, one had donee, again no flavour. The only good thing was the seafood basket, but even the calamari was cut so thin, you could barely taste it; lastly was the halloumi, it was sandwiched in between bread...I think!!
All in all it was a let down, but always need to try for ones self.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

A great little middle eastern restaurant!!
fab food!!!