“Better than the movie”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2017

Had a light meal here en route to a visit to the casino across the road. Shared a large platter and calamari plus drinks for around $50.
Noisy and tables squashed together but atmosphere was generally good humoured, staff very helpful. Why it's named after a prison/druggie movie I have no idea.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Midnight Express

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

Went to his restaurant after reading the fantastic reviews on TA; I was expecting great things...sadly they did not materialise 5 of us ate there, they turned the air conditioning up so high we were shivering, had to ask a couple of times for it to be turned up.
The food was mediocre at best...2 of us had the chicken shush, which was tasteless, one had donee, again no flavour. The only good thing was the seafood basket, but even the calamari was cut so thin, you could barely taste it; lastly was the halloumi, it was sandwiched in between bread...I think!!
All in all it was a let down, but always need to try for ones self.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

A great little middle eastern restaurant!!
fab food!!!
wonderful service
great staff!!!
very busy!!
lots of atmosphere!!!

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I went for a stroll around the streets near our accomodation in Auckland, and found Cafe Midnight Express.
My wife is not a big eater, so she ordered an entree, but I had the $25 special, which consisted of an entree and a main.
We both had a drink, and we left, very well fed, all for $55.
The food was sensational. The staff were friendly and courteous.
Definitely worth a try.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Came here for dinner last night with my boyfriend and really enjoyed the whole experience. I had the mezze platter as my main which was huge and entirely vegetarian which was great. It was lovely being able to try so many different things this way. My boyfriend had the midnight mix and he was very happy with his meal. As we were eating there was belly dancing which made for a great ambience. For dessert the chocolate whiskey cake is amazing! Would definitely return here for the $10 lunch special they do.