“Quantity over quality ”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

Got recommended to this place by my friend but turned out pretty average. High price but only for quantity, not quality. I would prefer to cook my own steak than squeezing into a crowed place for only salt+ pepper steak.

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (605)

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

You pick your steak from the steak bar and tell them exactly how you want it cooked. Was cooked perfectly. Sauté onions and mushrooms are both extras. There is plenty of onions and mushrooms, so only need one plate of each between 2 or 3 people. Great atmosphere, very friendly and welcoming staff. I would go back again.

1  Thank Chrissy04NZ
Reviewed 4 September 2016

Great family night out, place is buzzing. Steak perfectly cooked, each family member loved their meal. Good, efficient and friendly service.

1  Thank Vivienne W
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Little disappointed with this one...

We heard from a few locals that this was a great spot to get a grade A steak hands down. There was a crazy wait when we tried to walk in (to be expected) so we made a booking for 1:20 min later. We came back and were seated right away upstairs.

The steaks were in "Buffet Style" raw and ready to be chosen and then cooked in front of you. We were starving by 9:30pm, so we grabbed 2 fillet steaks and asked for them medium rare we were offered garlic and pepper as a seasoning (not sure if there were others) so we took it. We left our steaks with the cook, and grabbed a plate for the salad bar which came with the meal. It was great, beets, potato salad, marinated chick peas, goat cheese etc.

We ordered 2 glasses of overpriced wine which was fine, as we figured it was a steak house. The wine came out in very small glasses and was too warm, even for a red... as if the bottle was sitting next to a heating vent. We watched out steaks being cooked from upstairs which was fairly neat. Nice to be able to see what happens with your food start to finish.

Here was the big bummer... The steaks were almost in edible. Despite the reputation for meat that is so tender these steaks were so tough they were almost impossible to swallow. I have honestly never had a steak cut so terribly... This may have just been a end of the night ditch to get rid of some bad cuts, but for $40 a person we at least expected something edible, the flavor wasn't great either... the garlic was a bit overpowering and otherwise tasteless. Because the meat was so stringy and tough, it was hard to get the natural flavor of the steaks as well.

We did mention to the waitress that they were indeed tough... but we were so hungry by that time we managed to eat nearly half with allot of chewing. We did not expect a refund, we just though we would mention it. They were apologetic and took our plates, we paid, and left. most likely will not go back...

Would advice asking questions about the cuts, as they are not what they appear.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

Second time I have been to Angus since my first visit 10 years ago and the steaks are still cooked to perfection. Eat at much as you like from the extensive salad bar on offer too but can guarantee that due to the size of the steaks you will not be making that many trips to the salad bar.
Different steaks to choose from. You can choose your own and take if to the chef who will cook it to order.
I had porterhouse steak and my husband had the lamb rack. His was so good that I wanted to eat his too.

I know good steak and mine was the best steak I have ever had at a restaurant in Auckland.
Did you have pudding I hear you ask!
It was difficult but I managed to squeeze in a portion of ice cream.

Only issue the whole evening was they appeared to be under staffed. Shame.
But was there for the steaks and I left happy happy happy.

Date of visit: July 2016