“Not disappointed”

Cassia @ Skycity
Ranked #24 of 1,968 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cassia is a modern Indian restaurant by award winning Chef Sid Sahrawat. A la carte and tasting menus available.
Reviewed 9 November 2020

My wife was luckily gifted a voucher from work for Cassia. It feels quite exclusive based on where the restaurant is situated i.e. tucked away in Fort Lane just off Queen Street.

Modern feel with exposed brick, exposed wiring for lights, and dark decor.

Service was great - attentive staff and food came out quickly.

Modern Indian cuisine - we said we do not have dietary requirements and wonder if we could have told them my wife would have preferred mild / medium (she can eat spicy but prefers mild). The eggplant dish was fairly spicy but still tasty and not overpowering. This is not a complaint but rather a point to make for future visitors.

The food was not 'blow-your-head-off' spicy, but offered flavour and a general heat and tingly mouth feel.

Plates are made to share, except for the bites which are almost literally just that - bite sized portions.

We have fairly large appetites (!) and also wanted to sample as much as we could in our visit so we ordered x2 bites each, x3 small dishes, x1 'To Share', x1 garlic naan side, and x1 dessert to share.

Every single dish had heaps of flavour and was presented beautifully!

We ordered the following:
- Pani Puri - my wife had this and is not a huge fan of mint but she wanted to try it and was not disappointed
- x2 Wagyu Beef croquettes - these came to us hot and came with a delicious type of mayo / cream that I wish we had more of!
Crayfish and beetroot cone - also beautifully presented and delicious with a bit of a kick
- Roasted carrot - the macadamia masala was to die for
- Eggplant - divine and a good hit of spice. Perhaps could have done with a little more smoked yoghurt
- Tandoori fish - not too much heat, great flavour, and the fish was cooked perfectly!
- Caramelised duck - this came with rice, and also a bit of a kick. Tender duck, so good
- Chocolate, banana cream, walnut - ice cream, bits of cake/brownie, raspberries, banana cream. Great way to finish off a warm meal with a bit of tart, sweet, cool flavours

This is a fine dining restaurant so expect to pay a little more for your dishes though you certainly get what you pay for at Cassia.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank lmcs1104

Reviewed 25 October 2020

We consider an outing to Cassia a real treat with our budget so our expectations were high. We opted for the Journey through India and specified that we would like a premier wine match (mentioned that 3 times actually). Our first disappointment came when our first course arrived almost immediately after we had settled in. We hadn't even had our drink orders taken. The wine match arrived quite a time after the first course was finished and just before the next course arrived. The second course came almost immediately after the first course. At this rate we were going to be out of there in an hour or so so I asked the waiter to slow the next course down.
The food was devine but we thought the dessert wasn't enough and we joked that one of us could have eaten the serving for the table on our own. We aren't big eaters!
We enjoyed the premier wine selection of five small glasses. Tasting size only.
We were in the section where the iron chairs scrapped noisily on the concrete floor and the group next to us were up and down a lot. The lucky people in the main section had wooden chairs so didn't have the noise issue.
So not a perfect night.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank 177Chris177
Reviewed 26 September 2020

Managed to get a booking (very popular venue) and was looking forward to the visit. Very pleased with the outcome as the Indian fusion food was excellent as was the service. If you are after a 'fine dining' experience wouldn't recommend it but if your taste buds want to enjoy themselves definitely a must do. The actual restaurant itself is in an old downstairs warehouse so a low ceiling, brick walls and polished concrete floor mean that when full it isn't quiet, infact its very noisy. Found it difficult at times to actually hear the waiting staff describe what's on offer but they went out of their way to ensure all of our party knew exactly what they they were about to experience. If food is the main objective, highly recommended, if it's to catch up and find out what friends have been up to over a good meal, suggest a somewhere less noisy.

2  Thank Teteblanc
Reviewed 24 September 2020

I have wanted to stop by for quite a while so I probably hyped it up a lot in my mind. The restaurant was quite comfortable and not overly loud so it was easy to hold a conversation. The lights were dimmed but sufficient so you could see the food and company. The service was nice and friendly and the menu was interesting. The food was a bit of a hit and miss for me though.
I tried the Achari fire cocktail and it is exactly as described as it was spicy, but it tasted like a chili sauce. I was expecting more of a mango flavour but the flavours were quite interesting with the spice. The heat mellowed at the end of the night when the ice melted.
Most of the food was really nice, particularly the duck and the carrot, both being absolutely stunning. The carrot was an afterthought to get some veggies but was one of the better dishes of the night. I was expecting a bit more pronounced spice flavour in the dishes though, but it was still nice. The tandoori fish had a nice smokiness to it which I liked. The lamb kebab was also quite nice and a little spicier than the others.
I was excited for the crayfish cone but it tasted like cream cheese and I was trying to find the texture of the crayfish which I couldn't find. I'm guessing that the crayfish was made into a mousse which the cone was filled with. The biggest disappointment for me was the pork belly. The pork itself was cooked nicely but the prawn balchao that came with it was on the edge of too salty for me. It was unpleasant to eat by itself and we weren't sure if it would be possible to get more rice as it wasn't on the menu.
It is definitely a nice place for dinner and I would come back to try the other items because most of the dishes were tasty.

Reviewed 13 September 2020 via mobile

Brilliant 'Journey through India' menu - adapted to be seafood-free due to allergy. Attentive and engaging staff, great ambience and not too expensive given the quality.

2  Thank sjconnew