“Incorrect hours on website :-(”

Fergs Kayaks Auckland
and up
Half-Day Auckland North Head Guided Kayaking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Fergs, a great source of fun for all ages. We offer an extensive range of equipment for hire or purchase as well as kayaking tours to some of New Zealand’s most iconic locations. We're only 6km from the city centre with an amazing on-water location which means you can just hire and go! Whether you’re a family looking for a bit of fun on the weekend, an individual keen to take up a new sport, a school or corporate group wanting a different experience then Fergs is sure to have some exciting activities for you.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 7 April 2015

A group of us arranged to meet at Fergs at 4pm on Easter Monday for a paddle around the bay. We have done this a few times and checked the hours on their website (which still by the way says 9-6 daily) however on Easter Monday they changed to their winter hours (closing at 4 so last kayak hire is 3.30pm).

As we have done this a number of times in the past at the same time and the hours haven't changed on the website we didn't see there would be an issue however staff did not seem bothered by either the fact that the website is incorrect or that they were turning away a group of paying customers - very disappointing :-(

Reviewed 13 March 2015

We rented four bikes from Fergs Kayaks for a ride along the water front. The service was friendly and the store was nice with a large selection of kayaks and paddle boards. The bikes on the other had were not so great. This was a last minute choice without much research. I was hoping for a basic mountain bike but these were very basic bikes kinda like your grandma would ride complete with a bell on the handle bars. The seats would not stay up and the handle bars were at an odd angle so your wrists were in a slightly strained position. We only rode for about an hour so it wasn't to bad. If you are wanting to go longer I would recommend testing the bike before you rent it.

1  Thank Mark A
FergskayaksAuckland, Manager at Fergs Kayaks Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2015

Hi Mark

Thanks for the Feedback. With our bike’s these are the Old School Cruiser bike which are designed for cruising on the water front here in Auckland.
As for the seats not staying up we are currently trying to address this issue to stop it from happening .
Thanks for your feedback.
Regards

Fergs Auckland Crew

Reviewed 9 December 2014

I hate to do this, as I'm a very fair kind of guy...

On Sunday November 9, 2014, I booked a day-trip to Rangitoto for a mate and I. I gave my credit card details over the phone, but instead of one charge of $300, my card was accidentally charged twice - $600 in total. Annoying (as I'm not a rich person to start with!).

Later that day, I was called back by Ferg's Kayaks, who advised that, as they could not secure a guide, the trip would not go ahead. (So why was my VISA charged before the guide was confirmed?)

Reluctantly, I accepted a full refund.

The following day, Monday Nov 10th, ONE of the two charges, $300, appeared in my account.

Three days later, the other "accidentally-charged" $300 amount had still not appeared in my account, so I called Ferg's Kayaks who simply said, "It's gone from our accounts, so it must have reached yours...". It hadn't.

Days passed, and the money still hadn't appeared in my account. I called again, and again was told that, "sometimes it can take a few days to appear in your account, and it's gone from our account, so just check again in a few days..." So I did, and still nothing.

A week (and another phone call) later, it still wasn't there.

So last week (Dec 2nd, 7 days ago), to make sure that there was an electronic copy of our dialogue, I emailed them, both via their website as well as directly to the email address on their website. I was then (finally) told that it was their issue. In their words, they said it was a "dismal lack of communication". The last sentence in their email-reply to me read, "Again my apologies, don’t worry- this will be sorted out- It is my mission."

One month to the day later... as at 1354 on Tuesday Dec 9th, 2014, my $300 "accidentally-charged" refund has still not been returned to me.

I love my country, the activities and tourism we offer to our visitors... both International and Domestic. I would HATE to think that this might happen to an International tourist who has come over here with a small amount of hard-saved money for a month, gets charged (either intentionally or accidentally) and doesn't get a refund back until they leave New Zealand?!!!

"Ferg" is a legend. Gutted that his fame isn't being honoured.

I won't give up on my $300, and one month is pathetic. Never again.

7  Thank Dorymae4
FergskayaksAuckland, Manager at Fergs Kayaks Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2014

We are extremely embarrassed by this occurrence and have in all honesty tried to give you your money back.
We have all the receipts and electronic records that the refund of $600.00, two payments of $300.00 each, had both gone through. We had communicated this to you and let you know that we would only be able to fully confirm the transactions when we received our statement early December for the previous month. When we received the statement it showed that only one lot of $300.00 had been returned to you. When our accounts department saw this we phoned you up to ask for your card details again (as we don’t keep these on file) so that we could refund the final $300.00 back to you.

The first transaction was put through to secure your booking, but unfortunately when we cancelled the trip you had paid for, instead of refunding $300.00 you were charged $300.00. This was a simple mistake made by one of our new staff members. In view of this we have now changed our Refund procedures and only our accounts department is able to process refunds. On Friday 11th December the refund was applied again and I can confirm it has gone out of our bank. Please confirm you have received the final refund.

Once again we apologise for this error.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked a tour for 16 of us on a Saturday, and were very excited. Because of strong winds, the trip was postponed to the next Saturday. The day before the next Saturday, Ferg Kayaks called to ask to postpone again, because one of their guides was hospitalized and they didn't have enough guides. It was quite frustrating because our friends were visiting from America, and didn't have another day to postpone to! Finally, they managed to find enough guides for us for the trip to go on.

When we got there, we had a safety and training briefing, learnt how to use the kayaks and put on our life jackets and kayak skirts. There were 18 of us who wanted to kayak, but there must be a 8 people to 1 guide ratio. Hence, we asked if two of us could kayak there, then change places with the other two people who took the ferry there. We even made sure everyone attended the safety briefing. The lady on the phone said it was okay to do that, but when we arrived, the guides refused to allow it. We were quite bummed about that.

The trip itself was pretty good. The guides made sure we all stuck together and talked about different sights as we kayaked past. They were friendly and didn't push us too hard. When we got to Rangitoto, they talked about Rangitoto and its history, which was interesting. One of them walked slowly with me because I'm not the most fit person, and he never pushed me to 'hurry up!' which was nice. They gave us ample time at the top to rest, relax, enjoy the view and have lunch.

Apart from them postponing so much (unavoidable for bad weather, we know), and not allowing our friends to change places on the way back, we had a great time. One thing I'd suggest is checking their website to make sure you bring what you need! They don't provide food, so you MUST bring your own! It will be quite difficult to kayak back on an empty stomach after kayaking there and hiking up Rangitoto.

4  Thank KendonandFaith