Book In Advance
Tours from Habitat Tours tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews night tour flora and fauna picnic lunch waitakere ranges bird species kauri trees regional park anzac biscuits forest walk new zealand homemade cookies and tea interesting insects delicious homemade food kiwi spotting bird watching tour tour covering learned lots
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my gf have been on a day tour to the waitakeres. Its been an amazing trip with a great tourguide, a delicious homemade lunch, lots of fun on the sand dunes, beautiful views on the beach and a nice walk through NZ's native bush!
Thanks Habitat Tours for this amazing experience!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

What a wonderful and full day I had hiking in the rainforest, strolling along the beach, climbing a giant sand dune and scaling along a mountain up to an amazing view. Tristan was knowledgeable, entertaining, and a gracious host. The curbside service was reassuring to someone who hasn't traveled much. The picnic lunch was delicious! I so enjoyed my tour with Habitat Tours and Tristan that I recommended it to some others who were in NZ at the same conference I was. Their experience was as wonderful as I had promised. Thanks for the best side trip I took while I was in Auckland!

Date of experience: March 2014
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The very finest day tour that we encountered during our month in New Zealand was that provided by Habitat Tours from Aukland to Tawharanui. Our guide, Pamela Cullen, had great personal experience of volunteer work with native New Zealand habitats and bird and she was extraordinarily knowledgeable and enthusiastic. We saw and identified a remarkable variety of native plant and bird life, and her commentary and explanations considerably enhanced our understanding of the complexities of this New Zealand native forest, so different from ours. The entire month that we spent in New Zealand was truly wonderful, and Habitat Tours provided a fitting conclusion to a remarkable and unforgettable experience. We recommend Habitat Tours as one of the very best New Zealand has to offer.

Date of experience: April 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a fabulous tour. I did the day/ night tour. Well worth the money. Tristan is extremely knowledgeable and easy to get along with. He was able to answer all my questions. Very comfortable transport and Tristan is a careful and considerate driver. Beautiful beach - virtually empty - and views. I didn't have a swim but don't forget your swimming things in case you want to take a dip. and a great walk through the bush. The sound of all the birds was amazing. We saw several threatened species and even saw a Kiwi during the night walk which was a stroke of luck as this is certainly not guaranteed. Great, healthy home-cooked food into the bargain which we had picnic style. Again, all comforts provided in terms of chairs, rugs and tents in case of rain or wind. Altogether a lovely day. I would recommend this tour to anyone wanting to experience the nature and wildlife of the North island.

Date of experience: February 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Tristan took me on a full day habitats tour. I was the only one who signed up for the day (he never takes more than his 7 passenger van can hold), so it was a private tour. Tristan is exceptionally knowledgeable about the plants and animals of the area and is obviously passionate about New Zealand's environment. We had a beautiful and tasty picnic overlooking the water within a nature reserve and saw and heard many birds.

This tour is not for people who aren't able to hike a bit, but it's completely worth it!

Date of experience: March 2014