Book In Advance
Tours from Habitat Tours tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews night tour flora and fauna picnic lunch waitakere ranges bird species kauri trees regional park anzac biscuits forest walk new zealand homemade cookies and tea interesting insects delicious homemade food kiwi spotting bird watching tour tour covering learned lots
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Tristan took me on a full day habitats tour. I was the only one who signed up for the day (he never takes more than his 7 passenger van can hold), so it was a private tour. Tristan is exceptionally knowledgeable about the plants and animals of the area and is obviously passionate about New Zealand's environment. We had a beautiful and tasty picnic overlooking the water within a nature reserve and saw and heard many birds.

This tour is not for people who aren't able to hike a bit, but it's completely worth it!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was a really fantastic trip and very well organised. I was collected on time from my backpackers and joined a small group for the day's adventure. Tristan the guide was very knowledgeable and shared lots of interesting facts throughout the day. He also answered any questions that were posed. I really feel he gave us an excellent insight into NZ's plants, trees and wildlife. I was introduced to some of NZ's bird species and I even remember the names of them. I can now share my knowledge with fellow travellers.

The day consisted of viewing beautiful countryside and breath taking coastlines. We went on a couple of different bush walks that really allowed us to use our senses to enjoy the experience. The smell of the different pines, the crunching of twigs underfoot, and the calling of the different birds was really wonderful. I think this is a really good trip to experience some of what the north island has to offer. During the trip we sat at a beautiful idyllic location and enjoyed the tasty picnic that was included. It really was delightful and all homemade produce. An excellent and healthy meal for a backpacker!

To finish the day off we enjoyed a swim at the final destination in Tawharanui on a gorgeous, white sandy beach. The water was so clear and a perfect way to cool down after the bush walk. So don't forget your togs!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have participated in many Auckland activities and tours but this one tops it all.

Transport: Comfortable, spacious and not a slow old bus like other tours.
Food: Outstanding! Restaurant quality packed full of energy for the day.
Location: Breathtaking views of the Hauraki Gulf and surrounding islands, stunning white sandy beaches, plentiful forest perfect for the bush walk.
Guide: Tristan is amazing! So knowledgeable and willing to be flexible with any requests.

I would definitely recommend Tristan and Habitat Tours to anyone, it beats all the other similar tours and activities hands down.

Keep it up Tristan!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

That is absolutely an unforgettable experience I've ever had in NZ!
Our guide--Tristan is a very kind and police man,and also a great cook!I must firstly thank you for making such a delicious picnic dinner for us,at the first time I really thought that was took out from a restaurant :)
The forest tour in the afternoon was fantastic---there was so quite and cozy,nearly no tourists around,and Tristan knows a lot about the bird and animal,we've learnt a lot from him.
After,we went to an amazing beach--the water is cristal clean and we can see everything in the ocean,the wave is big and we enjoyed it so much!
The night tour after dinner is interesting,too, we saw a lot of birds and insects that can't be seen in a day time,we were also surprised to see the light blue wave(with krill in it)at night.
Thank u so much for guiding us in this tour,we've learnt a lot from it.
Lastly,I must mentioned again that the dinner was absolutely wonderful!Thank u soooo much:)

Date of experience: February 2014
Reviewed 28 February 2014

What can I say? Gorgeous! yes ... this is the word that best suits this fabulous place!
The nature and New Zealand landscapes gave us many great surprises!
I'd like to thank Tristan for his professionalism and all his knowledge of fauna, flora and their country.
Tristan first introduced us to the different places in which we are to go to reach the regional park, then he took us inside the forest (he explained the different kinds of animals and trees in the park) then we had lunch on the beach (the meal was very good and plentiful). After a good walk and swim on the beautiful beach, Tristan led us to trees that are about 800 years old. What a great day!
Thank you again to Habitat Tours for this organisation!

Que puis-je dire? Magnifique! oui ... c'est le mot qui convient le mieux à cet endroit fabuleux!
La nature et les paysages de la Nouvelle-Zélande nous reserve beaucoup de belles surprises!
Je tiens à remercier Tristan pour son professionnalisme et toutes ses connaissances de la faune, de la flore et de leur pays.
Tristan nous a présenté les différents lieux que nous avons traversé pour atteindre le parc régional, puis il nous a fait découvrir l'intérieur de la forêt (il a expliqué les différents types d'animaux et arbres dans le parc), puis nous avons déjeuné sur la plage (le repas était très bon et copieux). Après une bonne promenade et baignade sur la belle plage, Tristan nous a conduit à des arbres âgés de 800 ans. C'était un grand jour!
Merci encore à Habitat Tours pour cette organisation!

Date of experience: February 2014