All reviews duchess suite refreshing tea newly refurbished hotel luxury boutique hotel wall paper a superior king room queen street beautiful hotel outstanding staff loading zone macaroons complimentary upgrade turn down service concierge staff high tea breakfast staff central business district
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Full disclosure: I chose this hotel because I'm a member of the loyalty club, and the hotel is perfectly situated for exploring the city. Plus, I was intrigued by the refurbishment and wanted to check out these Victorian amenities.

I absolutely loved the location, that's for sure. I think being centrally located allows a certain freedom while traveling, and that's important to me. I acknowledge that it may be noisy for guests on lower floors, given its location, but on the 7th floor I didn't hear much. I was happy with that.

The rooms are comfortable, and it does look like the designers tried to think of everything. I didn't understand the old-style clock on the bedside table that couldn't keep the time - was it decoration, or was it meant to be functional? Most guests, I'm assuming, will have a mobile phone for things like keeping time and setting an alarm, but the clock took up valuable space on a bedside table.

I appreciated the turn-down service at night - the chocolates and bottles of water were a nice touch after a long day wandering the city.

My two complaints:
(1) The concierge really should be more proactive with guests. I had checked in, dropped my suitcase, and wanted to head out again. I stopped at the concierge to ask him to check on a couple of things in the room that I wanted to confirm were working. Instead of hearing me and saying he'd have someone check on it, he suggested that I didn't know how to use the items and told me to find him when I returned so that he could give me a tour of the room. As a frequent (and often overseas) traveler, I don't need a tour - I need someone to fix the things that don't work. Needless to say, that never happened.
(2) The bathrooms need to be re-thought completely. The sliding glass door for the bathroom doesn't quite close completely, so if there are two of you in the room, your partner can see and hear everything happening behind the door. The vanity is too small to be usable - because it is free-standing, there are no shelves to leave your personal items in the bathroom, and the counterop is occupied fully by the sink basin and the amenities box. The hair dryer (this may seem minor, but stay with me) is an absolute waste - it's one of those hold-the-button-to-make-it-work hair dryers, but you have to squeeze the whole handle for it to power on. Obviously, no women were involved in selecting this appliance, because it's nearly impossible to squeeze it while also trying to style and dry your hair. With all of the money spent on refurbishing the hotel and trying to be a luxury destination, the management seem to have gone cheap on the little things.

Overall, I think it's a lovely hotel and the staff are perfectly friendly (albeit overbearing at breakfast). The location is stellar, and if you get a room on a higher floor, it will be plenty quiet. I just think that they need a little bit more time before calling themselves a 5-star hotel.

Room tip: Ask for a high floor
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank MiaBchGal
Nivzer, Executive Assistant Manager at Hotel Grand Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Good Evening MiaBchGal

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for this review.

I was pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and I will be sure to share this with them. I will further investigate the misunderstandings in regards to the facilities in the room and will strive to ensure our guests and staff are on the same page.

Our owners and designers have carefully selected certain form of amenities for the rooms and hotel to commemorate the heritage of this building we are so proud of. However your views will surely assist in improving us.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Windsor in the near future.

Warm Regards
Nivzer Dadabhoy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 2 December 2017

We spent a Friday night here after the Paul Kelly concert. Our room was clean and very comfortable and the collection of plentiful pillows made for a luxurious experience. I loved the black painted corridor walls and the overall elegant ambience throughout the hotel. All staff were professional and pleasant making us feel well looked after. This beautiful heritage building sits well amidst some very ugly tower blocks.

Room tip: My partner did not appreciate being directly above Queen Street. Rooms at the back and on higher floors would be quieter
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Renato G, General Manager at Hotel Grand Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Hello Christine and thank you for your review. Lovely to hear that you had a good time in the city and hope the concert was unforgettable. See you next time.. kind regards, Renato.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

Amazingly refurbished property where the attention to detail and workman’s ship shows. One of the best locations for a comfortable, gorgeous and brand sparking new stay in Auckland Central. Close to Britomart shopping and entertainment district, the central city and the ferry terminal. The GM Renato greeting us and even polite chats to the staff who happened to be riding the lift too made this a comfortable stay and somewhere I’d visit again. Thank you!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Good morning codeyaj and thank you so much for dropping your kind review. We are thrilled to hear you thoroughly enjoyed staying with us and we do look forward to welcome you back soon. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead, kind regards. Renato.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

First time in Auckland and being from the UK wanted somewhere comfy to sleep. This hotel is in a great location right in the hart of Auckland near the harbour and walking distance to the Sky tower.

The room is really nice and the bed was a welcome relief.

The negative though and the reason for the score is the noise that can be herd in the room,
I don't suppose this would be too much of a problem during the week, but over a weekend, if you need to sleep this hotel is a no go. We were placed on the 7th (top) floor, and everything from cars driving outside to needle drops could be heard from the room. I swear the hotels policy is to magnify sound and play it back into the room.

The biggest oddity though and unexpected due to the floor level. Cars driving on the road, made the windows shake. I guess the shake is generated via the speakers that pump sound in.

For the price, if it is midweek, give it a go. If you want to be in the thick of it and pass out in a drunken stupor give it a go. If you need/want/require sleep over the weekend.

Not so much i would avoid.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Renato G, General Manager at Hotel Grand Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Hello andysparkes,

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your experience.

I am actually surprisingly disappointed to hear about the noise that you experienced and please accept my sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

All our windows are double-glazed so I really would like to better understand what has caused the noise into your room. If you would not mind contacting me directly so I can personally and immediately address to this situation. Nevertheless I have asked my team to have a thorough check/review all level 07 rooms to ensure compliance.

Thank you very much andysparkes for letting me know and I can assure you that this "noise" problem is not recurring in our hotel.

Kind regards,

Renato Gualberto

Reviewed 21 November 2017

This hotel is great, nice and quiet, quality fitments, nicely appointed, stylishly decorated, right down to the finer details. The reception, concierge, and bar staff are excellent. I'll be back in the near future for sure.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Renato G, General Manager at Hotel Grand Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Thank you very much Andrew S for dropping your comments and especially for sharing the fabulous service that you received from the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, Renato.