“Fantastic food and service”

The Grill by Sean Connolly
Ranked #30 of 2,355 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "Opened Spetember 3rd, 2011. Not be confused with a restaurant called "The Grill" on Greys Avenue".
Reviewed 25 May 2017

I dined here recently with my husband and brother but arrived alone before either of them. I had planned to wait in the bar for them but the bar is quite small and there was only 1 seat left. The front of house staff member who greeted me whisked me through to another much roomier space in the hotel lobby to the rear which was much nicer for some-one waiting on their own. I was really grateful for this and most impressed. Brother and hubby duly arrived and found me easily and we stayed in the nice roomy bar with leather arm-chairs for our first drinks and then went to our table in the restaurant. The service was excellent in regards to both food and wine. I had the scallops to start followed by the King Crab linguine and both were superb...and we had dined at The French Cafe the previous night I might add...so comparison was inevitable. And the Grill stacked up favourably. My husband and brother also really enjoyed their meals. I can't recall what they were but know my husband had a steak which was very good and also quite a big steak which he couldn't finish...possibly due to the side order of Mac & Cheese which was also amazing. We thought the Grill was right up there with
Aucklands best and will be back soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

Obviously being born and bred in Christchurch I am a staunch supporter and am more reluctant to give positive reviews to anything our rivals Auckland produce!!
All joking aside there was nothing I could find in The Grill that warranted a negative comment. Yes, it was busy, but is that not a sign of good food and a successful business?
The waitress, and I must be forgiven for not catching her name properly, knew the menu like the back of her hand. She was was very patient and knowledgable!
A+ to all of the food and a special mention to the apple tart. My goodness it was most enjoyable!

3  Thank reginaphalanges
Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

Very nice place !! It is a go !!

Suckling pig is a must and then meat is very good.

Service is also perfect... On top They have real bartenders who can make perfect drinks

Don't miss it

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

We visited The Grill on a busy Thursday night. We tried the Steak menu and although the cuts were very good quality at the end of the day it was very expensive for steak and two sides (we chose duck fat chips and gree beans which I could have cooked easily at home). The sides were $12 each. Entree of Scallops were very good. The Crab cocktail pretty average. The dessert menu was uninspiring so we popped across to the Tapas bar across the street to have dessert there. Service attention was excellent but the meals were slow coming out. Entrees took over 45 minutes from being seated. I should have chosen items from the main menu as I cook quality steaks at home myself. I don't think I would go back.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Multi national staffed with people who knew all their product well. We took recommendations for the wine and desserts and they certainly knew what we liked. Had the Wakanui Ashburton eye fillet with vegetables Grandmas carrots and mushrooms superb. The desserts were sublime - my apple tart fin took 25 minutes to prepare and was superb while my colleague was very happy with the flambe'd Crepes