3,254 results
All reviews lava restaurant marina view room luxury room viaduct harbour beautiful hotel rain shower turn down service floor to ceiling windows nespresso machine wynyard quarter new zealand room service restaurants and bars room was large bed was very comfortable valet parking ferry terminal
Reviewed 27 January 2016

I wouldn't give this Sofitel an excellent rating because of its poor location. It is a long walk to the ferry terminal and downtown for shopping. The hotel itself is beautiful but the rooms open onto an atrium so you basically look into other peoples rooms. We had to keep the blinds shut during our entire stay. The restaurant serves excellent food which is a good thing because other restaurants are a cab ride away. I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 904LindaK
Rose_Johnstone, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2016

Bonjour Linda K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour. I am pleased you enjoyed our relaxing atmosphere and our offering at Lava Dining restaurant.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our location in the Viaduct Harbour, this is surprising as we are a short walk from the Wynyard Quarter, which boasts an array of different restaurants. Additionally, should you allow us to welcome you back to the Sofitel Auckland, it will be our pleasure to show you our other more private room categories.

Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you a great day.

Reviewed 27 January 2016

We arrived after a long flight from US and our room was still being cleaned. The front office staff allowed us to use the gym shower to freshen up. We left to have lunch and left our luggage with the valet and we're told the luggage would be brought up to the room. We received a text that the room was ready and returned and we're provided our keys. When we entered the room there was an empty glass sitting on the floor near the door, our luggage was not in the room. A call down and the luggage arrived. The glass however sat outside our door for hours. Eventually I placed it in the middle of the hallway and someone picked it up. Next day same story, someone had ordered room service and left the dishes piled in the hallway. They sat there for hours until we finally went down to the front desk and asked they be removed. Mind you on both days someone came to turn down the bed so they had to walk by this...
The hotel location is wonderful. We upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was very large and comfortable with wonderful views out to the waterfront. You can walk to almost everything in a matter of minutes. Our friends we're staying at the Langham which seemed old and outdated in comparison to the Sofitel. On our return to Auckland we spent two night at Mollies Hotel which we actually preferred in the end.

Room tip: 1 bedroom suites are HUGE
1  Thank dchub3

Bonjour Dchub3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour.
I am delighted you appreciated our tranquil harbour location and your luxuriously appointed suite.

However I am disappointed to hear there were room service trays in the hallway, this is not of the high standard we pride ourselves on and I am sorry to hear this was your experience with us. Please rest assured I have followed up with our team to ensure this does not reoccur.
I once again deeply apologize for the incident, which is rather atypical and far from our usual high standards that we are known for, yet, we are truly thankful for your feedback to allow us to acknowledge the matter.
We sincerely hope you would allow us the chance to welcome you back and enhance your experience to be better than previous one.

Reviewed 26 January 2016

...but stay here for the location. We booked a city view room, and were left overlooking a construction area. We think we paid the same price as those looking at the city proper. On the other hand, the hotel is convenient to everything. There have been some bad design decisions. The carpets on our floor look to be stained with grease. Rather is it just the knap, but it looks horrible. The key cards are brown; good luck finding them on some flat surface in your room. We can't figure out how the staff can tell if the card on our door says "Do not disturb," or "Please make up my room." The cards are brown and also difficult to read. We also could not understand why our TV was positioned so it could not be watched either from the bed or the sofa in our room. Beyond the location, absolutely the the highlight of our stay was the staff. They all seem to know what you need before you do, and are super helpful.

Room tip: Let them know you do not want a construction site view, and do not let them charge you for an upgrade.
1  Thank skyhoosier

Bonjour Skyhoosier,

Thank you for your precious time taken to write you review.
I am pleased you appreciated our tranquil harbour location, our helpful ambassadors and excellent service standards.
I am however sorry to hear that your room view did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies the road works on Halsey Street affected your experience with us, we look forward to the improvements in the Viaduct Harbour when they are done.

I am sorry to hear your expectations for your room view were not met. Our rooms are categorised based on their view, with this in mind, we would love the opportunity to show you our room options so you may find your preference. Therefore please feel free to contact myself on H8577-GR@sofitel.com to organise a viewing at a convenient time.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a great day.

Reviewed 25 January 2016

This was definitely our worst experience at a Sofitel ever. The surroundings of the hotel are being renovated, with many streets closed. At this point, it is extremelly difficult to get to the hotel, especially during night time. Rooms ate small and rundown. They had long waiting times for breakfast (!), but the most astonishing issue was that they served spoiled orange juice in breakfast. This was really disgusting. Will never come back. Corporate manager should have a look on what is going on there.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank acukiert

Bonjour acukiert,

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear the road works on Halsey Street affected your car parking experience, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. We do currently have road works cutting off one access road to the hotel. To ensure our guests are able to arrive at the Sofitel with ease, we send an email with a map and to show the best access the hotel. My apologies that this was not your experience with us.

Kindly allow me to reassure that all of our rooms have undergone a full soft renovation and are up to date. Our orange juice is sourced locally and kept on cool at our Breakfast Buffet. I sincerely apologise that you found it spoiled and please rest assured the issue will be investigated with our Food & Beverage Manager. However I understand that pulp in our orange juice may not be to everyone’s preference.

We would love the opportunity to have a better understanding of your experience and take actions to make things right to meet your expectations, therefore could you please send a direct email to me H8577-GR@SOFITEL.COM if you have a chance.
It would be the biggest pleasure to have you back at our hotel in order to turn your experience into a much more satisfying and memorable one.

Reviewed 24 January 2016

We stayed for three nights while visiting Auckland for a wedding. I was very impressed by this hotel. We had stayed in December in the Sofitel in Melbourne, and our stay in Auckland was a superior experience.
The location of the hotel is good, just out of the city, but nearby to the waterfront and docks, which gave a lot of good dining options. There is a fair amount of construction going on - I note they'll soon be competing with a Park Hyatt just up the road - but I didn't notice any noise while staying there.
The room was large with a bathroom that included a stand-alone tub. Wifi was free (up a data limit). The gym was small but functional. The pool was nice if a bit crowded. Lobby and public areas were very nice and drew in the water theme of the neighbourhood. One complaint I had was that phone calls to housekeeping/guest services were unanswered about three times, so I had to ring around different numbers to get to someone. Once answered, service was great.
Overall, I'd strongly recommend this hotel if you can get at a decent rate. I'd stay again.

Room tip: The best rooms look towards the harbour, you could try requesting.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rose_Johnstone, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2016

Bonjour Michael G,

I would also like to thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour.

I am absolutely delighted that you thought you had a highly satisfying and superiour experience during your stay with us! Thank you for all your kind compliments about our property and I am pleased that our team made your stay such a beautiful experience.

I sincerely apologise for the incident you encountered while reaching our housekeeping and guest services, which is rather atypical and far from our usual high standards that we are known for, yet, we are truly thankful for your feedback to allow us to acknowledge the matter.

Thank you once again for your review and your trust in our hospitality. It would be a huge delight to welcome you back again in the future.