“Authentically French, delicious, warmly recommended”
Review of Le Garde-Manger

Le Garde-Manger
Ranked #28 of 1,984 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2023 via mobile

I was looking for a place to have my brunch/lunch, just passed by this restaurant and was caught by its style, something made me want to have a closer look, without knowing what at first. Once I did, I understood what it was: it is a traditional French restaurant with typical decoration, and it was love at first sight, bringing me back to my home country
I asked the owner, who's not only French but
from Normandy where crepes come from, for his recommendation, he mentioned the Savoyarde galette (a galette being a savory crepe, and the Savoyarde one being with raclette cheese, bacon, onion, potato and cream)
I went for it, and I must say it was really REALLY yummy, just loved every single bite
I warmly recommended this restaurant, best one I've been to in Auckland/New-Zeland

Date of visit: June 2023

Reviewed 22 April 2023 via mobile

We stopped by for a late lunch on our first day in Auckland because the restaurant was within walking distance from our hotel. We enjoyed our meal, the ambiance, our friendly French waitress (a visiting graduate student) that we decided to return the next day for dinner. Le Garde Manger is an unpretentious French restaurant that serves delicious country style food (not fussy haut cuisine), in a relaxed atmosphere. I wouldn’t hesitate to return except the restaurant is 9,000 miles from home.

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 17 March 2023 via mobile

Where do I start! Restaurant is like a sweet place you’d find on the back streets of Paris! Food is exceptional. Duck Confit was amazing , Escargot delicious, bread was Devine! Lamb shank was delicious, the crepe pear, chocolate dessert screams for MORE! Everything was perfect! Atmosphere was very French! Book a table. We got there at 6:15 and by 7 pm the place was packed! We will definitely go back there again!

Date of visit: March 2023
1  Thank SandyA513
Reviewed 13 February 2023 via mobile

In Auckland on a failed business trip due to Cyclone Gabriella hitting. Staying in a hotel on upper Queen St, I spotted this cute little restaurant the first day and had my dinner there that evening. It’s not fancy looking, but the cute checkered red and white tablecloths grabbed my attention. I was not disappointed. Beautiful fuss free service by a solo waiter that managed all tables by himself with ease. The food is simple, but tasty and authentic French fare. I felt at home here as a solo traveller, so much so I’ve come back the very next night. I had the French onion soup, the pan fried fish and coq au van.
If you’re a fan of simple but extremely tasty authentic food, this won’t disappoint. It was such a welcoming place to be on a miserable rainy night.

Date of visit: February 2023
Reviewed 10 December 2022 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely loved the food here. Just like we were back in Paris. An absolute must try if you are looking for a romantic dinner. We tried many things on both the menu and drinks menu. The Normandy cider was great and the crepes are amazing. We are already planning to come back before the end of the year.

Date of visit: March 2022