“Unpretentious authentic French food”
Review of Le Garde-Manger

Le Garde-Manger
Ranked #27 of 1,968 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 February 2023 via mobile

In Auckland on a failed business trip due to Cyclone Gabriella hitting. Staying in a hotel on upper Queen St, I spotted this cute little restaurant the first day and had my dinner there that evening. It’s not fancy looking, but the cute checkered red and white tablecloths grabbed my attention. I was not disappointed. Beautiful fuss free service by a solo waiter that managed all tables by himself with ease. The food is simple, but tasty and authentic French fare. I felt at home here as a solo traveller, so much so I’ve come back the very next night. I had the French onion soup, the pan fried fish and coq au van.
If you’re a fan of simple but extremely tasty authentic food, this won’t disappoint. It was such a welcoming place to be on a miserable rainy night.

Date of visit: February 2023

Reviewed 10 December 2022 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely loved the food here. Just like we were back in Paris. An absolute must try if you are looking for a romantic dinner. We tried many things on both the menu and drinks menu. The Normandy cider was great and the crepes are amazing. We are already planning to come back before the end of the year.

Date of visit: March 2022
Reviewed 3 December 2022

Thought this would be a great place for French cuisine based on the reviews I read but I was very much disappointed. It's a small cozy restaurant and was very busy and although the server was very nice she was not attentive at all. Wine came promptly. Waited a bit for our entrees. Onion soup was only barely half a bowl and the goats cheese salad was lacking in goats cheese and the dressing was very sweet. We both ordered the boeuf bourguignon which was recommended. We waited for a very long time - other tables were served before us even though they came in afterwards. We let our server know we were waiting but she never checked on it. Finally we complained and miraculously two bowls instantly appeared and it was one of the worse meals I've ever had. Mostly carrots, no sauce. I wouldn't give this a second try.

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 3 December 2022

This restaurant stands out in contrast to the spectrum of Asian cuisines on Queen Street in Auckland.

I took a chance to eat there a few nights ago. Since then I have returned daily for dinner.

The ambience is of a bistro in France. Tables are close together. I have met people sitting nearby.

There is a set menu of appetizer and entry with or without desert.
I have eaten both the French onion soup and the duck rillettes as appetizers and both the pan-fried fish and coq au vin as entrees and the Creme brûlée as desert.

The French onion soup is delicious. This is served hot in a bowl full of onion strips with a covering of cheese over croutons.

The duck rillettes is a firm slice of pate served with slices of bread and a salad. The taste was bland.

I like the pan-fried fish served with vegetables and salad. It is not greasy.

Coq au vin included generous portions of chicken leg and breast with bones, potatoes, and a tasty sauce.

Creme brûlée was a cold time with a sweet base and a hard upper crust.

There are many choices of wines and other beverages. I had chosen hard dry ciders from Brittany and Normandy because I like ciders and they are not available at most places. Both ciders are refreshing.

I had thought that I would have Asian food in Auckland. However, I am seizing the opportunity to enjoy good French cooking nearby. If it ain‘t broke, don‘t fix it. Why go to other restaurants when this outstanding place is available?

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 21 November 2022 via mobile

What an unexpected slice of French cuisine.
We dined on a busy wet evening and the staff managed it very well.. the food was excellent and I would recommend the crepe William

Date of visit: November 2022