“A disappointment”

Ranked #27 of 1,979 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2022

Thought this would be a great place for French cuisine based on the reviews I read but I was very much disappointed. It's a small cozy restaurant and was very busy and although the server was very nice she was not attentive at all. Wine came promptly. Waited a bit for our entrees. Onion soup was only barely half a bowl and the goats cheese salad was lacking in goats cheese and the dressing was very sweet. We both ordered the boeuf bourguignon which was recommended. We waited for a very long time - other tables were served before us even though they came in afterwards. We let our server know we were waiting but she never checked on it. Finally we complained and miraculously two bowls instantly appeared and it was one of the worse meals I've ever had. Mostly carrots, no sauce. I wouldn't give this a second try.

Date of visit: December 2022

Reviewed 3 December 2022

This restaurant stands out in contrast to the spectrum of Asian cuisines on Queen Street in Auckland.

I took a chance to eat there a few nights ago. Since then I have returned daily for dinner.

The ambience is of a bistro in France. Tables are close together. I have met people sitting nearby.

There is a set menu of appetizer and entry with or without desert.
I have eaten both the French onion soup and the duck rillettes as appetizers and both the pan-fried fish and coq au vin as entrees and the Creme brûlée as desert.

The French onion soup is delicious. This is served hot in a bowl full of onion strips with a covering of cheese over croutons.

The duck rillettes is a firm slice of pate served with slices of bread and a salad. The taste was bland.

I like the pan-fried fish served with vegetables and salad. It is not greasy.

Coq au vin included generous portions of chicken leg and breast with bones, potatoes, and a tasty sauce.

Creme brûlée was a cold time with a sweet base and a hard upper crust.

There are many choices of wines and other beverages. I had chosen hard dry ciders from Brittany and Normandy because I like ciders and they are not available at most places. Both ciders are refreshing.

I had thought that I would have Asian food in Auckland. However, I am seizing the opportunity to enjoy good French cooking nearby. If it ain‘t broke, don‘t fix it. Why go to other restaurants when this outstanding place is available?

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 21 November 2022 via mobile

What an unexpected slice of French cuisine.
We dined on a busy wet evening and the staff managed it very well.. the food was excellent and I would recommend the crepe William

Reviewed 17 November 2022 via mobile

Like walking into one of those authentic restaurants you find in regional France only on Queen Street in Auckland.

The decor doesn’t try at all because all the effort is in the kitchen. Very much a substance over style experience.

Set menus where you can choose from a selection of the hits from French bistros. Or a la carte options if you’ve got a particular hankering.

That it got fuller and fuller on a cold Tuesday in November says it all.

Reviewed 10 November 2022 via mobile

Lovely wee French restaurant in the heart of Auckland. We had the La Fermiere bacon and savoyarde and they were both excellent, every bit as good as dining out in Lyon or Chamonix. We followed up with two Crème Brûlée which were very good as well.
Highly recommended.