“Popular K Road Restaurant ”
Review of Coco's Cantina

Coco's Cantina
Ranked #122 of 2,468 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

As soon as you walk in the door you are immersed in the wonderful ambiance. As it is popular we had about a 20 minute wait at the bar before a table came available this was not a problem as part of the experience is the theatre created by the staff and dinners. The food was good as was the service. The Italian based menu is mid to high priced. Most enjoyable and likely to go back simply for the ambiance of the place. Thank you.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 17 September 2018

I went for a friends 35th birthday on 6th September. There were 10 of us, who had starters and main - which were lovely, plus plenty of drinks to accompany with a bill of nearly $900+ within 2 hours.
On arrival I asked if they could put a birthday cake in the back so I could surprise my friend, I was told it would be $5 per piece cut and given out??! So $50 for us to eat our own cake, I could understand if they offered a cake to buy, or if we weren't having a meal there and were just coming in for our own cake.
However expecting us to pay was a joke, had we of been able to eat the cake for free we would have most likely spent a further $100+ behind the bar rather, but as we would have to pay we left after dinner with the cake, and went to a bar a couple of door down who were very accommodating. Very silly policy, obviously management are very short sighted - it is best policy to ensure the customers are happy. For the sake of a cake, even if it had been $2 a head we could understand, but when you have paid $50+ for a cake, to pay a further $50 to eat it was not happening. Silly little policies like this will mean none of us will be eating there again, plus the other people who heard about it the next day. Small businesses need protecting, but it works both ways for customers too.

5  Thank Sarah I
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

My daughter had been to coco before but this was my first time. There was about a 20 min wait which was fine for us to have a wine and watch the wonderful sights. Taken to our table the wait staff were polite and attentive. They even made a joke or too it was lovely, made you feel like part of the scene. The polenta chips are outstanding. I loved my pork belly and my daughter enjoyed her ravioli. Beautiful flavours and worth the visit. It was a little pricey but we enjoyed our experience so can’t complain really.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We had just landed in Auckland and wandered from our hotel, stumbling on Co Co’s by chance. It was heaving, but they found us a table and we enjoyed an excellent meal from their Monday date night special menu. Excellent value, and great food too. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

Coco's Cantina seems to reverberate with good vibes. Certainly our server was upbeat, informative & proud to be working @ Coco's. And, she touted all the dishes on the relatively short menu.

As newbies we were not familiar with the menu, but many of the customers looked & acted like returnees. They appeared to know what they wanted to order or they wanted to know the night's specials.

There was only one on our recent night's visit - porai fish in a "tomato & olive sauce". I passed but went for the organic Jerusalem artichoke, lemon & ricotta ravioli w/ burnt butter & chervil. It was an ample tasty portion but not as amazing as I'd expected. The artichoke flavor eluded my buds most of the time. I thought pricey for a ravioli pasta dish -- $30?

The polenta chips which have gotten raves were deep fried delish but again, a small order or a bit overpriced. The fact that I could order a 2014 Margrain Pinot noir by the glass was impressive. Their tiramisu dessert was one of the better ones.

Finally, one could be warm and cozy in their dimly lit cantina but we choose to be outside under the heaters and enjoy the rainy night air & ambience of K' Road.

Date of visit: August 2018