Review Highlights
AMAZING EXPERIENCE...DON'T MISS IT!!

You gotta go before it leaves us for ever! The whole Globe structure and set up is just amazing... read more

Reviewed 14 February 2020
NZNana
Rotorua, New Zealand
Pop up globe Ellerslie

Great atmosphere and venue. Well worth going to see a play there. We saw Romeo and Juliet... read more

Reviewed 29 January 2020

from US$44.01
from US$184.15
from US$94.44
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 April 2019

Absolutely fantastic entertainment!
I have seen more than a dozen of their plays in Auckland, and they are excellent! My 14-year-old son and his friend who are usually only interested in computer games both loved them! I have even taken a South American friend of mine who probably understood only 5% of what was being said but still loved them. So much that I had to take him back to see another one. The actors are just fantastic!

So please disregard a previous review by some pompous snobbish people and their overly intellectual criticisms, who gave a Hamlet terrible rating. I have just watched Hamlet with my son, the theatre was jam packed, and everyone there absolutely loved it! If you think like me that the theatre should be made accessible to everyone, for the people, then by all means go and see any of the Pop up Globe plays. They are outstanding, always superbly acted, and incredibly engaging. My son and I have never managed to read any of Shakespeare's plays, but the Pop up Globe makes them really accessible to all.
I would give hem 10 stars if I could, and my son and I look forward to seeing them again next season!

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed 17 March 2019 via mobile

Between the cast sneaking side glances at you throwing in current jokes interacting with the audience. It’s a great night out bar is pretty sweet to.
We’ll be going again!

Reviewed 17 March 2019 via mobile

We’ve seen hundreds of theatrical performances in many countries over many decades, both professional and amateur, and have been actively involved in many productions both directing and performing so know what we’re talking about and can honestly say this was literally the worst directed thing we have ever seen on any stage .
The physical direction was exceptionally poor (every line supported by a cheesy arm wave or gesture - every time the word Heaven was used they pointed up at it) , the classic speeches plainly had not been understood and performed to imply the direct opposite of their meaning, and the dialogue allowed to be delivered in high speed rants that could not be heard nor understood by anyone we talked to in the audience, the character development was erratic and lacked flow or logic, the humour was immature ( a mobile phone ringing was a classic example of an amusing idea in rehearsal actually surviving into the performance - and was even repeated for ‘humour’ in one of the most tragic moments in the play) and the tragedy ended with the bodies getting up to do a cheesy dance.
Whoever directed it should be ashamed.

1  Thank thereandbackagainNZ
Reviewed 4 March 2019 via mobile

Took our teenage boys to see Measure for Measure, absolutely fantastic, even our 13 year old enjoyed the show. Very talented actors, great audience participation and involvement.
All in all great way to spend a Saturday evening, get there early grab a vino and pizza or cheese board enjoy the garden area before the show, can’t believe we left is so long to go to the Globe, will be back for Hamlet in a few weeks.

Reviewed 2 March 2019

The whole experience was great. Yes I have been to the Globe in London and compare this favourably. I enjoyed the pop up globe enornmously, as right from the ushers at the end of the driveway, there was an area of facts and photos about Shakespeare. A bar, merchandise of the show, and programmes were available to buy. Even picnics were available. It was a gloriously sunny day, so even the groundlings could enjoy the show. Our seats were on the stage, so even if it had rained, we would still be able to enjoy the experience. The show was most enjoyable, with the thespians playing to all sides of the stage. I particularly liked the stage fighting. The production brought to life the script I had read as a High School student. We were not face on, to the stage, but I could hear most of the dialogue from the middle balcony, although some actors had quieter voices. At half time, there was an opportunity to buy ice creams. The show was 2 1/2 hours long. Staring at 2pm, it was nice to be able to come out in the sunshine. But I would like to go back again for an evening show and feel the difference in the atmosphere. All credit to the players and the instigators of the globe, for a fabulous afternoon's entertainment. My souvenir- a pack of cards priced at $10 with characters from Shakespearean plays.

Date of experience: February 2019