“A fire hazard, crowded, noisy, and late start time ”

The Ellington Jazz Club
Ranked #3 of 12 Concerts & Shows in Perth
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Been here a few times in the past and had decent experience with the music although the crowd can get obnoxious and entitled. Tonight was the worst. Show is 45 mins late and hasn't started yet. Place is damn noisy and packed, makes you wonder how people can escape if there's a fire. I've been to jazz bars in NYC and Melbourne, and this place is becoming to look like a cheap knock off. I'm sure other people like this obnoxious type of scene but this ain't the jazz club I was looking for.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"session"
"concert"

Reviewed 18 September 2018

Every time I have been at the fantastic Ellington Jazz Club I have been impressed at the quality of music, professionalism of musicians of all kind of genres, national and international and also the gorgeous, soothing ambience and great atmosphere! ~ A real gem for the music lovers. We've also had a 21st Birthday Party upstairs at one occasion and were served lovely and enough yummy food and were looked after really well.

Highly recommend any music lover to visit the Ellington Jazz Club. Reserve a table beforehand, so you are not disappointed when the tables are sold out. ~ There is a selection of food and very nice drinks available all night being served at the bar and at the tables.
Many concerts of The Perth International Jazz Festival (Nov 9-11 '18) take place at the Ellington.

Reviewed 24 August 2018

A cosy little jazz bar with pleasant, soothing ambience. Went there with my family and we really enjoy the performance. Music is great, being so close to the artists was an unique experience for us. Excellent venue for music lovers!

Reviewed 4 July 2018

We went to the Ellington Jazz Club for my daughter's hen's night. Going out to a club is not something I usually do and possibly compared to other places perhaps the drinks weren't expensive but I consider $5 for a can of diet coke to be a bit rich. My two daughters-in-law shared a bottle of champagne which was about $65 a bottle!! I was looking forward to hearing some good jazz music as I grew up with a dad who was a huge traditional jazz fan. I was sadly disappointed. We were in an upstairs room which was great as we could sit and talk and it wasn't quite as noisy as the bar next door. There was a TV on the wall showing the performances which were happening on the stage downstairs and apart from an opening bracket of modern jazz music and a couple of standup comedians most of the performances were strip shows. Not even very professional looking strip artists either - not that I'm a connoisseur of strip shows. Perhaps they were performances by the beginners! Platters of finger food were supposed to be provided but for the 20+ ladies who were there all we received was about 5 small plates of quite ordinary food. By the end of the evening everyone was starving as most of us hadn't had dinner before leaving home believing that we would be fed at the club. People were checking their phones trying to find food at midnight. One of the highlights of the evening was the entertainment we received from a burlesque dancer who was very good. The Ellington is definitely not somewhere I would bother going again.

1  Thank 63Joan51
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Ellington’s has an intimate vibe with the audience being close to the performers. There is a wide range of artists (both national & international) playing almost every night, so you would be unfortunate not to find something of interest. Best to book early if you want a table as seating is limited, standing spots are more flexible. A selection of bar food and drinks are available. If you are a music lover you must pay Ellington’s a visit.

1  Thank Graeme T