“Unforgettable first class end-to-end nature experience”
Review of Bibbulmun Track

Bibbulmun Track
Book In Advance
More Info
US$179.60*
and up
Darling Ranges, Mundaring Weir, and Swan Valley...
Ranked #509 of 1,808 things to do in Western Australia
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bibbulmun Track stretches for almost 1000 kilometres from Kalamunda in the Perth Hills to Albany on the south coast. It winds through some of the most beautiful natural areas of the State’s south west and is easily accessible, passing through seven rural communities and popular tourist spots such as Mundaring Weir, Gloucester Tree and the Tree Top Walk. The Track was designed for use by people with varying fitness levels. With numerous access points it can be walked as part of a relaxing day in the bush, overnight camping adventure or an eight to ten week end-to-end hike. Campsites with shelters are a comfortable day’s walk apart, while towns along the way provide a wide accommodation for those who prefer a comfy bed.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

G'day mate,

I actually solo hiked the track end-to-end back in 2009 starting from Albany and finishing off in Perth alias Kalamunda. It took me bloody 48 hiking days to complete the whole thing. I suffered from blisters and a twisted ankle and also a sore hip which I hurt when I slipped down on a gravel road. But something in the inside pushed me and still encouraged me to fulfil my dream, hiking the whole Bibbulmun Track.
As this was my first long distance walk at all, I had to learn while doing some mistakes in not being set up properly for such hike. First I had too much weight in my pack (30kg) and after rethinking and repacking the backpack it weighed only 21kg. I’m thankful to people I’ve met along the way who took part of my stuff back to Perth which I then collected once I’ve been back. – If you are up to do an end-to-end walk really think over what you don’t need and what you really need. The gear and the food is important. Every little gram what is in the backpack, you will need to carry.
I made awesome experiences and unforgettable ones. There were gorgeous people who tracked the opposite direction or just did days or section hikes who shared the hut at night with me as well as wonderful conversations. Twice, random people let me stay at their place along the way as the accommodations were fully booked or not open though. This was a really unique experience and a value one. I actually miss those friends.
The nature changes so quickly, actually every section holds a surprise. I’m talking about different flora and fauna. Of course I came across snakes but those ones were quicker than I was to actually see them in their whole beauty. Spiders were making their art across the bushes, so I had to look out for them as I wasn’t that food adventurous to have swallowed one :D Birds, e.g. blue wrens, kookaburras, willie wagtails, cockatoos, etc. as well as kangaroos, possums, etc. were seen along the way. I really loved the kookaburras who made me laugh when they started laughing in the evening or in the morning, it was so real and lovely.
There have been bushfires along the way, which was kinda scary as I was not told about them by the DEC office when I asked about track condition, weather and control burnings in Walpole. Luckily the guy in Pemberton at the DEC office knew the path really well between Pemby and Balingup, so I could enjoy the hike again.
I must say, it was absolutely peaceful to walk that trail. There are so many thoughts coming through my mind which I wouldn’t have got when I would be working. It felt like a meditation hiking the Bibbulmun Track. That one changed myself and I definitely would love to do it again but in spring time, walking the opposite way, having the sun in the back and the ocean in the end for having a swim at the final destination :D Also I’d like to carry a tent to camp wild and get closer experiences with the nature. We are just so spoilt sleeping in a proper bed and a roof over ones head as well as having a shower every day. I was so amazed how much energy and positive thoughts a nature could give me. I still think about that track a lot, it feels like I would’ve hiked it a few days ago.

A big thank to the Bibbulmun Track Foundation and the maintenance staff who have set up such an amazing track and looking after it. Keep the Waugals up :D

Enjoy your hike.

14  Thank Adventurecurls
Jean B, Public Relations Manager at Bibbulmun Track, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for your review of the Track. I couldn’t have said it better. The Bibbulmun Track website is a great source of information and the Bibbulmun Track Foundation is always on hand to offer helpful tips and advice.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

On 9 September, 2013, I completed walking the Denmark to Albany section of the iconic Bibbulmun Track, and fulfilled my quest to walk the entire 963 km of the track from Perth. This review is about the 85-km section which involved two inlet crossings (the Wilson Inlet at Denmark, and the Torbay Inlet) which caused me some apprehension and extra attention during my preparations for the walk.

My initial plan was to stay one night at the Blue Wren Backpackers in Denmark, leave my car there, and commence hiking from Denmark, returning by bus from Albany on the day I reached it. I soon found the plan unworkable as it meant I had to reach Albany very early to catch the bus. From experience, it was easy to take a few extra hours and I would likely miss it. I was also advised that the backpackers hostel would charge me $5 for each day my car was parked there. I changed my plan to stay in Albany instead. This was a wiser thing to do as I would then take the bus to Denmark at the start of the walk rather than at the end.

Boat transfers across the Wilson Inlet were stopped recently, but from speaking later with walkers in a shelter, I discovered that a new boat operator has taken over the ferry service, charging $60 for the crossing. I rang Denmark Cabs which agreed to provide the road transport to the Nullaki peninsula, which is across the Wilson Inlet from the town, for $50. It was a very pleasant ride, and you get to listen in to some local chatter as the proprietress of the business seemed to be well known in the community.

The shelters between Denmark and Albany are: (with distances from previous stops)

Nullaki (13.6 km)
West Cape Howe (16.7 km)
Torbay (16.7 km)
Mutton Bird (12.0 km)
Sandpatch (13.0 km)
Albany (13.0 km)

Starting at 9.30am from Denmark, I was able to stop in Nullaki for lunch and to walk on to the next shelter the same day. West Cape Howe to Torbay would take a day. Between Torbay and Sandpatch was a distance of only 25 km, so I could cover that in a day by skipping (or 'double hutting') Mutton Bird. And, as I left Sandpatch early, I arrived in Albany at 10.30 am thus completing the walk in four days. I had allowed an extra day as a float in my planning.

The second day after leaving Denmark, I encountered heavy rain and strong winds. Otherwise, the early spring weather was mostly sunny and warm.

The coastal scenery was one of the best in Western Australia. I rate this section the best among the sections in the track. I liked best the beach before crossing the Torbay Inlet. Walking on the spongy sand could be a challenge, but depending on the tide, you could find a firm part of the sand that was former to walk on.

Timing it so as to arrive at the inlet crossings at or near low tide helps to avoid having to make a long diversion. The Torbay crossing was knee deep but the water was swift. I found my trekking poles useful to keep a firm footing.

As the temperatures weren't too high, I only encountered two tiger snakes. (Other delightful wildlife experiences were catching sight of the emu and the kangaroos.) I was warned to wear gaiters, which also helped to keep the sand out, and help my socks remain dry.

Despite the logistics of the inlet crossings, this section is still easy to plan and walk, and is thoroughly recommended for the beautiful scenery and the recreational aspects. It's certainly a gem for residents of Western Australia and should be a world class tourist destination.

Intending walkers are advised to contact the Bibbulmun Track Foundation or BTF office in Perth to arrange for free planning consultations. They also organise walks and could arrange for transport logistics.

The track is supported by the Department of Parks & Wildlife and the BTF, and maintained by BTF volunteers.

5  Thank Bornean
Reviewed 18 May 2013

As a group of 6 walkers we had the track and the campsites to ourselves and we met no other walkers along the way! We did have challenging weather with huge storms and wind but mostly the weather action was at night and we only got a real drenching on the track once. The low pressure system however drove high tides making some of the beaches tricky to say the least. The Track is mostly in good condition although in a few spots it was rather overgrown with a few consequent scratches and very wet boots after a night's rain. Congratulations to those who develop and maintain this wonderful track. I hope to get back and do other sections

2  Thank tav_mind
Jean B, Public Relations Manager at Bibbulmun Track, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

We're glad you enjoyed your walk on the Bibbulmun Track. The section from Walpole to Denmark can be challenging but the rewards are worth it! Thanks for the report about the condition of the Track. Maintenance of the Track is a never-ending challenge and the Bibbulmun Track Foundation manages nearly 300 volunteers who give their time to look after it to make sure it's in the best possible condition for walkers.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Spectacular day walk from Kalamunda to Mundaring! We started at 8am at the top of the track in Kalamunda and it took us just over 4 hours to reach the Mundaring Weir Hotel where we enjoyed lunch and celebratory drinks. The track itself is not too difficult but make sure that you are following the Waugal (snake) yellow markers as there are some other markers that set out the horse trails. Great hiking adventure.

4  Thank Philippa F