“Food and service as good as their Knightsbridge restaurant ”

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal
Ranked #64 of 4,421 Restaurants in Melbourne
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had lunch at Hestons at Knightsbridge 4 years ago and enjoyed dinner at the Melbourne restaurant just as much. At that time the restaurant manager who greeted us was an Aussie from Canberra who now works (manages?) PHestons New York restaurant. The Melbourne menu is interesting, food delicious and appealing to the eye and the service by all staff was fantastic. We started with cocktails at the bar, which at $26 were reasonably priced. The English barman was very knowledgeable and chatty. Their wine is expensive but you get what pay for. For my wife a highlight was the tipsy cake for desert and for me the tender roast lamb. A recommended side dish is the triple cooked chips. Cost for 2 including drinks was around $400 but worth the experience.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A superb location the third floor of the Crown Towers building. The decoration of the restaurant is superb with the tables for two situated along the windows of the restaurant offering a wonderful view of Melbourne city and the yarra river. The food and the wine were excellent. My wife had the signature Meat Fruit as a starter which looked and tasted wonderful. I had the roast bone marrow which was nice but not great. We both had the slow cooked pork belly and this was very good. By this stage having just arrived from New Zealand I was a little tired and could not take on the offer for desert. My wife chose the goats milk cheese cake which she really enjoyed. Staff were fantastic, food great, lovely ambiance and occasion. It's expensive but you understand and expect this, the occasion was worth the cost.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very nice atmosphere, food was very nice. Service was touch n go. Some staff are good and others are terrible. We had sparking water on the table and the guy just keep opening new bottles without asking

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a Xmas voucher but found getting a booking hard with evenings offering 10pm plus. So did lunch and felt this was a great option. We had more time, views across the city excellent and the place was pretty relaxed with great service. The food thematic based about 1300c-1800c English recipes adapted to high tech preparation science. If you are interested in preparation get a table to oversea the kitchen and the rotating pineapples basted every 20 minutes. This gives you a sort of chefs table experience without the premium. The food is well above a two hat but then so is the price. Its just short of a Brae in innovation- but being picky. All were perfectly prepared - not a weak dish. What was excellent were the matched wines by head sommelier Loc Avril. These were better than Brae or any of the two hatted restaurants we have tried. They were perfect in their match and sourced from Mornington peninsula rieslings, British sparkling Rose, Hungarian and Austrian whites and an extraordinary Uruguay dessert red. Started with Bouzy champagne. Then we discovered he is two thirds to being a master sommelier of which there are about 250 in the world. At this standard restaurant it is best to allow them to show you their craft - degustation and matched - be prepared to discover something new.

1  Thank dawsonpd
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went to Dinner by Heston with my husband late on a Saturday for dinner. I was looking forward to it VERY much and had poured over the menu online and pre-decided what to order. My husband went in blindly and chose on the night. For reference I chose Meat Fruit, pork belly; my husband chose the porridge and venison. We both had tipsy pineapple for dessert. My meals were good, the Meat Fruit being a highlight. My husband did not enjoy his porridge at all (it was cold and he didn't enjoy the taste). The pork belly was tasty but was it a $60 main meal? Not in my experience. The venison was pleasing but cold (everything was cold!).
I am the kind of person that likes to go in knowing what I want to get and my husband is the opposite: choosing when he gets there. Both of us were disappointed with our experience at Heston's overall, and I am sad to admit this. I also found myself particularly grated by the fact that still (tap) water was $20!!! I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere ever, so I'm not sure if this is not a big deal to everyone else that's been there? $20 for water is not cool and never will be for me. Not sparking. Not fancy. Water.
The Meat Fruit blew my mind and I would recommend that to everyone. Toast was HOT with a delicious grill on the outside and parfait soft. Just perfect.
The tipsy pineapple was very nice but again, considering it was probably just out of the oven, I wanted it to be piping hot! But it was warm. The coffee that my husband ordered tasted like a very weird drip filter hotel breakfast coffee and is not recommended. I know I sound like Debbie Downer right now but when you spend so much on dinner you have high expectations.
I wanted to enjoy this meal (just shy of $400) so much, but it missed the mark. Will I give Heston another chance? Probably not, no. I'll wait 3 months to get into Brae.