All reviewsnoisy at nightyour luggagecommon areascity centrewithin walking distanceperfect locationbattery pointsupermarketwaterfrontsalamancaaustralia
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Hostel is located right in the heart of the CBD, so a very central location. Staff are really lovely and accommodating, even was lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bed dorm for 3 out of the 4 nights I stayed. Hostel is clean and cheerful, and beds are very comfortable. Only negatives I would say is that the central location does make it extremely noisy, I am a heavy sleeper but was constantly woken by the church bells ringing nearby. Also the swipe cards are extremely sensitive, I was locked out twice and another guest staying had to get her card reactivated 5 times!Given that the hostel is only open 8am - 10pm you are screwed if this happens out of hours. Overall a good hostel in Hobart.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Hobart Central YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi - sorry that you had issues with the room cards, but glad you enjoyed your stay in Hobart. We are in the middle of upgrading our room entry technology to newer systems - it just takes a while as we have a lot of hostels around the country! Enjoy the rest of your travels

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

The location is right in city centre and impeccable. It is less than 5 minutes from CBD and the waterfront, and within walking distance from Salamanca and Battery Point. I was at room for 4 which is also reasonably sized. I like the fact that there are a lot of toilets on the floor which are bright and clean. (With glass door and curb! No more bathroom floods!)

For an establishment of this size, the kitchen is disproportionally small. It is the size of an family kitchen (no more than 150 sq ft based on visually guess). People would probably struggle when 5 people are trying to cook at the same time. There is a dining table and a bar table in the kitchen which would be too hot to eat when other guests are cooking. This is perhaps because the YHA is next to numerous restaurants of different budgets and most guests will be dining outside.

The common area is also very small and would probably fit 20 people. On the night of my stay, a large group of guests decided to lock up the common room for their own use while making a lot of noise after midnight. This is very frustrating since there are no other places for people who need to talk or do their own stuff. The wooden doors also don’t provide the best soundproof. Building management should consider if it is possible to have more common areas and if the common room should have locks at all. I appreciate that there is not much management could do given the time of the day. I find it beyond belief that some guests can decide to bar the use of common room from other guests.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank olivia_yeung
YHA_Backpacker, Front Office Manager at Hobart Central YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Olivia - thank you for giving us this feedback, and yes, you are correct - all communal facilities are available to all guests, so we are sorry you experienced some who were less than considerate. If you ever have issues like this at a YHA, there is always an emergency phone number at reception you can call, or have a chat with the manager the next day so we can try and sort it out for you.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I recently stayed for a few nights at the start of March, and really enjoyed it. All the staff were really lovely, and helpful when needed. The location is perfect, just a short walk down to the dock area which is lovely to sit at at night, (which I did with a few of the other hostellers I had met the previous night at wine and cheese night!) or just near the Woolworths supermarket so easy access to food to buy. And the hostel is just near loads of restaurants! Kitchen is smaller than in other YHA’s I’ve stayed at, but it does the job and I never found it too crowded for the times I used it. I did have a room up on the top floor (which after hiking Mt Wellington was a killer haha, legs definitely hated me lol) which meant legging it up the stairs a fair bit as there’s no elevator. But not really a major issue for me personally. But with anyone booking that has any kind of mobility issue, definitely would recommend contacting the hostel about getting a room on a lower level. Definitely recommend staying at this hostel, and I know next I’m in Hobart I’ll be staying here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Hobart Central YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi - we are thrilled you had a good stay - and conquered Mt Wellington! Quite a hike but such a great view. Hope to see you again another time.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

YHA Hobart is a great hostel and staff is very friendly and helpful!
We enjoyed so much the activities they organized during our time there and got to meet lots of new people.
The room was clean and nice.
The kitchen was a bit tiny!

Stayed: March 2018
YHA_Backpacker, Front Office Manager at Hobart Central YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Astrid - we're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a fun time exploring Hobart. Maybe we will see you again here or at one of the other 80 YHAs around Australia.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed with girlfriends a few days and found the reception staff very friendly, the bathrooms clean and overall a good few nights. Only negative is very noisy at night with passing traffic as its on a busy road, so take earplugs. The pillows are a little thin. However fantastic central location.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Hobart Central YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Hi Lisa - thanks for the feedback and glad you had a good stay. There is some traffic out front of the hostel as we are very centrally located but earplugs are always useful! Hope to see you again soon.