All reviews salamanca place battery point salamanca markets great location old building nespresso machine bars and restaurants continental breakfast the penthouse beautiful building harbour view main building room service car park old world charm free parking saturday market
Reviewed 5 November 2018

We booked Lenna of Hobart for two nights, our one weekend on holiday where we wanted to splash out for a four-star experience. We really looked forward to dressing for a fine dinner, and feeling special for the weekend. That we were completely underwhelmed would be an understatement and we were very disappointed. Superb location and beautiful accommodation, but that’s where it ended.

We had no issue with the room, the comfort of the bed, or provision of items in the minibar. The bathroom, while tight, was acceptable. Access for mobility impaired guests is very poor however; you can’t get to or from the accommodation wing into the mansion unless you climb several stairs and go through a fairly narrow doorway. The location of the hotel up a very steep street does not make for easy access to and from the hotel if guests want to go down to Salamanca Place to explore. It’s important that this information is very clearly noted on your website. Had I been in a wheelchair I would have been stuck in my room for the whole weekend.

On arrival, we were offered an upgrade of our Queen room to a King waterfront room for $85.50 by a young lady, not the one who was checking us in. Twice I queried whether this was payment in full, and my husband asked once because it seemed too cheap, and the young lady confirmed that it was so we accepted. I was shocked two days later to check my bank and discover we were charged this for each of two nights, double what we expected to pay. We were willing to pay for a little luxury, and the room clearly provided this, but the service provided in your hotel did not match the quality of the room.

We never received a phone call from reception to ask if the room was to our satisfaction. Excellent service can make up for room inadequacies as long as the bed is comfortable. Sadly, we received better customer service in a newly refurbished and top quality small caravan park cabin a few days later for $60, where staff truly cared about our comfort. It’s clear that Lenna staff either are not trained, or have lost sight of what hospitality actually means.

We were not offered assistance with porterage; we had to find the single luggage trolley ourselves, drag it down to the car park, and up to our room unassisted. The doorway of the room has a small step so the trolley could not be brought into the room for easy unloading.

We needed to do laundry and as we didn’t have any cash at the time asked at reception if they were able to provide $10 worth of gold coins and add $10 to our account. The young man said there was no way this could be done, and directed us to an ATM several blocks away. To be frank, for a four-star hotel this is completely unacceptable. The offhand manner of the staff member was very flippant; not even “I’m sorry Sir, it’s not a service we can provide.” He simply didn’t have enough experience to know what four-star service should be. My husband has worked in hospitality his whole life, and staff actually trained to provide four-star service might even have enough forethought to reach into their own pocket.

On Saturday night, we rang reception and asked if we needed to book for dinner. The young lady told us we could simply come down any time. We stopped in the bar for an aperitif, and asked when the restaurant would be open for service. Again, some surprise when the barman told us that dinner would be served in the bar. While the website says meals are served in the bar, nowhere does it say that the restaurant is not serving dinner. This is deception by omission, and if we had known the restaurant was not open for dinner we would not have booked our stay. Part of the four-star experience is fine dining. There’s no way this lounge bar is acceptable for a dinner service, let alone fine dining. The lounge chairs in the bar are for lounging, not dining.

When I noted the overcharged upgrade, I rang and explained what had occurred, including the failure of reception to tell me that the restaurant is not open for dinner. The young lady who took the call was clearly not that interested in helping when I complained about being overcharged and stated that the price was per night. She did not seem to accept that I had confirmed the price when we checked in and reiterated “that’s the price.” I asked to speak directly to a manager so I did not have to repeat myself. She told me she was a manager but her attitude was not one of “how can we help”, rather one of “here we go, a complaint. How do I get rid of her?” She was completely indifferent, and as I politely pressed the point she said that she would refund one night as “a gesture of good faith.” Had the young lady at check-in been truthful we would not have taken the upgrade, and we would not be having a difficult conversation about overcharging in the first place. I also commented that I had not been given my tax invoice when I checked out and she told me I had to ask for it. This is in clear breach of tax law, and told her that was illegal (which it is), that it should have been offered by either paper or email by the young man at reception when I checked out. She agreed to email me the tax invoice, then proceeded to rush me off the phone as fast as she could. If she is a manager, she needs to learn about listening to a complaint and taking it seriously, she needs to improve her customer service skills, and learn about basic tax compliance for services costing more than $87.50.

The hotel is clearly understaffed, and the staff that do work there have insufficient training, experience and motivation to provide a truly four-star experience. Interestingly, the day before we got there, our $272 per night, non-refundable room was below $190 on multiple online booking sites. What then is the real cost of these rooms? Certainly not what you are charging. If you want to fill empty rooms, you need to lift your game. We paid for location and got it, but four-star experience? Not in your hotel, sorry to say.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CGTM2008
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

My husband & I had a recent stay here on the recommendation of a very helpful assistant in the information centre at Huon Valley. It was a great suggestion as we found the rooms were excellent in terms of comfort & cleanliness. The location is perfect for a quick stay in Hobart as they’re close to the waterfront, short walk to historical sites, shopping, eatery’s...
thoroughly recommend it & will return when next in Hobart

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Lenna is a convenient base for exploring Hobart with free car parking. Easy walk to Salamanca and Hobart city.

Check in and out was super efficient and friendly. The old building is quaint and Chandeliers lounge is like having a drink in your aunt’s formal room.

The room is modern and comfortable but will not win any design awards. Toiletries were lovely.

Reviewed 22 October 2018

We stayed at Lenna twice during our 3-week Tasmanian holiday - the first two nights (25 and 26 Sept) and the last two (14 and 15 Oct). Needless to say, we stayed in two different rooms - 16 and 34.

Our first two nights were booked without breakfast, but the last two included breakfast. [For clarity, you have the option to include breakfast - either continental or cooked - when you make the booking online]

The breakfast was as good as you’d expect from a good hotel - high quality food and a good spread at the buffet. I’ve had better, but it was in massive 5-star hotels, with hundreds of rooms, in tourist hot-spots. For a boutique hotel, Lenna’s breakfast options are good and the food excellent.

On both occasions, the reception was very friendly and efficient, so we could access our rooms quickly before hitting the streets to explore what Hobart has to offer. Unlike some hotels I’d been to (in other countries), Lenna has a modern lift, making it easy to get from the carpark to the room with arms-full of luggage.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that there is ample off-street parking for patrons.

The buildings are very beautiful from the outside. And the inside was renovated to a high standard, including all the modern equipment you could wish for. The beds in both rooms were very comfortable, and we enjoyed both rooms. The en-suite bathrooms, though on the small side, served their purpose well.

As you would expect, the higher floors offer better views over the Hobart harbour (we opted for harbour-view rooms for both stays). While the views from room 16 were not bad, those from room 34, two floors up, were stunning.

The “cherry on top” was that a huge passenger liner was docked in the harbour when we returned to Hobart, and we had the opportunity, from our room on the 3rd floor, to watch it leave. A massive ship undocking and backing itself out (reversing) was something I had not witnessed before.

How convenient is Lenna’s location in Hobart?

Well, Lenna is just around the corner from Salamanca, and we simply strolled down for our lunches and dinners. The many excellent restaurants around the waterfront are also within an easy 5-minute walk from Lenna. The same is true for Battery Point and the MONA ferry.

In summary, Lenna of Hobart is perfectly positioned for visiting many of Hobart’s attractions. And the hotel is both beautiful and comfortable.

When we return to Hobart, which cannot be soon enough, we will not even consider staying in any other hotel - we’ll go straight to Lenna’s website and make a booking.

Room tip: Rooms on higher floors offer better views, especially if you want harbour views
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Very nice hotel conveniently located near battery point and Salamanca square. Placement of the air conditioning unit was a bit awkward, but the room was very nice otherwise. Staff was very attentive. Crystal chandelier bar very comfy.