7,314 results
All reviews horizon club blu bar opera house grand harbour circular quay top floor window seat rocks area room service harbour view corner suite turn down service club room four seasons bottle of champagne buffet breakfast five star hotel
Reviewed 6 November 2016

I have stayed at the Shangri La Hotel twice before and knew it was good and was not disappointed.
The only 'glitch' was I had clearly asked the agent I had booked through to book a room with views of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. On the confirmation it said 'Opera House' view and I assumed this was what I wanted but when we arrived the room had a view of the Opera House if you leaned against the window and peered around to the left.
I contacted reception and they moved me to another room which was more expensive but only by a small amount and we had an amazing view.
Breakfast was included and this was really good.
One issue is the walk from Circular Quay to the hotel is only about 10-15 mins but up a hill which after a day sight seeing felt like a mountain - one trick is to go in the back entrance which is a floor lower! .... or get a taxi home!!!!

Room tip: Specify 'Grand Harbour View'
Date of stay: November 2016
2  Thank Andrew E
Paul M, Director of Sales & Marketing at Shangri-La Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

Dear Andrew E,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney. I'm very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience at the hotel and that our colleagues were able to delight you. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

We liked this hotel - it was convenient for our purpose. It's in close proximity to Circular Quay, the passenger terminal, the Rocks , the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, the Botanic Gardens and the City Centre. Our room on the 25th floor was spacious with excellent views across the harbour.
We did not use the hotel restaurants, there are plenty of cafes/restaurants in close proximity.
It's a bit of a drag to walk up there hill from Circular Quay - depends how fit you are!
The room service slipped up once, but it was promptly corrected.
We recommend this hotel for it's location and fair value for money.

Dear Two-Grey-Gypsies,

Reviewed 5 November 2016

I was a bit worried considering the name but don't let that influence you, the rooms are extremely well done, music in the room when you first walk in, massive bathroom and a fantastically comfortable bed. I normally don't sleep well the first night in a new hotel, it wasn't a problem, I slept like a baby. The room is well apportioned, and the view of the Opera House is fantastic from the higher floors. It's quite walkable to the Sydney Bridge and Opera Houses, I recommend walking across the bridge and eating breakfast at Ripples at the base on the other side near the swimming pool. The concierge was very helpful with maps and walking directions and the front desk actually checked us in early (10AM) and texted us when they had a room available since we arrived early after two days getting there. I would definitely seek this hotel chain out when I'm in Sydney or Australia in the future!!

Dear Ami D,

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Spent last weekend at The Shangri-La in Sydney. Had Room 2515 on the 25th floor with fantastic views of Circular Quay, The Opera House, The Overseas Terminal (and Cruise Ships) and Sydney Harbour - could even see the Heads (the entrance to Sydney Harbour). Was wonderful sitting by the window (naturally a glass of Champagne in hand) and watching the glorious harbour view bathed in the afternoon sunshine. The room was a good size and quite well appointed. The bathroom was clean and well stocked Contacted the Service Centre and requested some ice to the room and two ice buckets with ice were promptly delivered. Later requested some firm pillows and they too were delivered to the room.
We went up to the 36th Floor to the Altitude Bar for a pre-dinner drinks, unfortunately being Saturday evening the Bar was packed and quite noisy, so we didn't stay.
On Sunday morning we went for a walk around Circular Quay, the Rocks and onto Barangaroo. On our return to the hotel we were not able to get into our room - down to Reception to complain and were well treated by the Reception Staff - who apologized for the mishap with our booking which was promptly rectified. We were offered a complimentary breakfast for the next day to make up for the inconvenience. A very nice gesture.
Went to the Altitude bar again on Sunday afternoon for a drink - this time the Bar had only a few patrons so we were able to have seats by the window overlooking the Harbour Bridge and the Harbour in general. A Spectacular view from the 36th Floor and not to be missed.
All in all a most pleasant stay at the Shangri-La Hotel with some truly wonderful views of Sydney Harbour, The Bridge and the Opera House.

Room tip: Rooms facing north or east are probably the ones with the best views - naturally the higher up the better the view.

Dear DonandKathy51,

Reviewed 5 November 2016

I stayed at the Shangri-La for a few days as I was invited in town for a conference and booked there by the company inviting me. I did look forward to discover the hotel and measure it against the likes of Marriott where I did stay a few times.
I must admit that the Shangdi-La has been a disappointment overall, not delivering on the expectation of excellence and proving quite an average hotel.
The room, if well fitted and of reasonable size had no X-factor and a offered a worn-out and non functioning remote for the TV as an introduction to the place. While replaced after a call to the service desk, it did set the tone for a stay marked by ups and downs.
In the end, not a hotel I will keep in mind for further stays in Sydney.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank SamPavin

Dear Sam P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were not thoroughly impressed with your experience with us. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel when you visit us again.